Decarbing during solvent removal

I wasnt sure if you were actually talking about the actual temp of the solution or of the still, I set my roto bath at 85 c when I evaporate, doesnt mean the solution inside is that hot

1 Like

I agree that your crude wont get hotter than the evaporation temperature. the question is how long are you at that temperature while evaporating.

1 Like

Yah, unless I’m trying to keep terps I usually evaporate open to atmosphere, but I run a 300L jacketed stainless still.

Why do you evaporate to atmosphere? You waste all that solvent?

at atmospheric.
not to atmosphere.
(requires less chiller)

2 Likes

Probably 8 hours max, I’m always dumping my crude out of my roto.

O that makes sense lol I think I need to look into one of these stills you guys are talking about sounds alot cheaper and faster than a falling film lol

1 Like

So when you evaporate at atmospheric pressure it requires less cooling power then at vacuum?

so it doesn’t decarb…

which doesn’t mean one can’t decarb while removing solvent. which was OP’s question.

dozens of 3rd party COA’s to back that up.

2 Likes

you can condense ethanol at 65C

if you’re not sucking on it.

2 Likes

I was under the assumption he was talking about under vacuum, I didn’t know he was using a still at atmosphere

FFE will outpace a still, but one can get close enough to make it worthwhile with the right design.

2 Likes

OP did not state :wink:

I assumed my stated boiling point made it obvious.

2 Likes

I guess it’s like they say "assumptions make an ass out of you and me " lol diction is everything

2 Likes

We all make assumptions, quite regularly. You were correct in your line of thought when under the belief that this was all being done under vacuum. It isn’t unreasonable to wonder why people are not recovering their solvent under vacuum. There are definitely reasons, though, to choose not to.

2 Likes