Decarb under pressure to retain terps?

Where you located? I almost rented a 502 location that had a dabbin cabin. It was out by black diamond

watsonville/ Hollister

Ah totally different state. Haha

I like to know if the same goes for trips u don’t want can u leave open and not loose thca

You are decarbing, so by definition “not losing THCA” is impossible.

The whole point is to turn that thca into thc.

Yes, if you’re looking to drive off terpenes during decarb, you can do that…it fact it’s a thing (see devol)

If that is your goal, using vacuum will get you further…

No guarantee that the “bad taste” you’re dealing with is “terpenes”.

1 Like

Eskander

So I’m going to zombie this thread cause this is something I’ve wondered about with a little tweaking. Doing open tray in a steam bath is going to blow off terpenes in all likelihood but I wonder if simply putting the extract in a vacuum sealed bag first would make the difference. You’d end up with about a cubic foot of CO2 per 315 grams of extract (once it is back at atmospheric pressure) in the bag so you’d need a long tail on the bag to contain it but we are talking about chump change for the equipment. No need for an inert atmosphere and no place for the terpenes to go at higher temps unless the bag ruptures. You’d be right at 121C so a pretty good temp for a quick decarb. Am I missing something?

-Eskander

3 Likes

Almost like Sous Vide, but at a slightly higher temperature? Nice!

1 Like

Well you could used a PID controller in an oil or glycerine bath to do the same temps at atmospheric pressure. And you could still decarb in a sealed bag (look for retort pouch for high temp bags) to reduce loss. A pressure cooker can achieve two atmospheres of pressure which both increases the boiling point of water to 121C and dramatically decreases the volatility of light organic molecules like terpenes. A 23 quart one is all of $140 on amazon so that kinda makes building a high temp recision oil bath sound like more trouble than its worth.

-Eskander

My only worry is degradation of these VOCs. A bottle of wine stored at hot temps definitely doesn’t taste the same.

2 Likes

I’d refer to @Photon_noir 's post in this topic for potential limitations in your pressure-cooker application.

2 Likes

Sure, stuff will breakdown just as in any decarb run. Sort of the point of it really. I don’t think this would get anywhere near the degradation point for any of the terpenes that are going to be most of the flavoring. Particularly in a mostly anoxic environment.

I’ll give it a run when the retort pouches get here and then run tlc on before and after samples.

-Eskander

4 Likes

Pouch Ready to go:

20 Min at pressure, vented wide open then chilled in cold water:

It puffed up as expected from outgassing but remained sealed.

TLC of results

Lane 1: the first wash (no decarb)
Lane 2: the second wash (no decarb)
Lane 3: 2ul extract after decarb
Lane 4: 1ul extract after decarb

I might need to go to 25 minutes to get a full decarb. I’m not hugely confident about the TLC results at this point (I think I need to go to a different solvent) but as a proof of concept this clearly works for decarb. Zero odor while doing the run was nice and essentially means that terpenes were all retained.

-Eskander

10 Likes

Awesome experiment @Eskander thx for sharing!!

3 Likes

My friend use to do the co2 for bhang chocolate back in the 215 days and thats how he decarbed all the co2 oil. Foodsaver bags made bigger to allow for expansion and set in hot water. Worked for yrs

1 Like

You guys wouldn’t be concerned the hot terpenes and residual solvent vapors wouldn’t react with the bags?

1 Like

Shouldn’t be a problem up to 120°

1 Like

So I did a hotplate with a stirring bar at 70C until the water and ethanol were gone prior to the decarb. I’m still going to loose some of the lightest fraction terpenes this way but this was a proof of concept run more than anything. The terpenes are essentially a solvent and in some cases need to be treated as such but the plastics used in these are pretty inert. I think the only food that would degrade this plastic is acetic acid. The inside of the pouch showed no signs of degradation and didn’t smell plasticy which you’d expect if it had been attacked.

-Eskander

5 Likes

So these guys think they have a defensible patent and have trademarked the term 'Total Spectrum"

More like total rectum…

:roll_eyes::shushing_face:

2 Likes

Copying Apple except the Y in LACy doesn’t stand for anything.

1 Like

it’s chamber y :joy:
where are chambers a-x?

2 Likes