Decarb large volume of oil

1-2hr

How much did you let it cool down? I wouldn’t describe room temp crude as “glass” under the process we use but it certainly is more resistant to flow at ambient temps than it is at 65-70C, where it flows similarly to 30wt motor oil

I let mine cool to about 100c and then pour from the roto after decarb

1 Like

Lol I grab my heat resistant gloves and pour that shit right away. I usually end up with 15g left in a 5L flask

1 Like

I was just using water-bath, it was steaming away at around 90. Waited til it mostly stopped bubbling, turned off and must’ve let cool too long. I must’ve taken all the terps out. 90C and water aspirator as low as would go. After that, I’ve been keeping it no warmer than 40 when roto ing and pouring it with a little solvent still in and finish/decarb on hotplate. I haven’t done a large amount yet, would it work well in a conventional oven with a little fan inside and the door cracked?

Yeah decarb works just fine in an oven. Just make sure your decarb container is about 2.5x bigger then the volume your trying to decarb. Alternatively u can fill your roto bath with avocado oil or canola oil for cheap, or buy some of the expensive thermal fluid
If your doing it In the oven, I usually did 250F for 50 min to fully decarb

2 Likes

Oh, so you make a hot bath with a pan of thermal fluid in the oven?

If I don’t do thermal fluid, is the fan/convection necessary, not sure if it would needs ventilation or just leave the door closed.

I learned the hard way already about overfilling the jars

The oil is supposed to go in the roto bath. The oven will work just the same as anything else, just put it in pyrex or something, u dont need an oil bath in your oven
You can burp the oven a couple times but u dont need constant air circulation (I never worried about it).
In the beginning I would do 30 min and check every 5 minutes for the bubbles to seize. I guess by checking every 5 min, I was burping it

1 Like

Cool, thanks you through me off with this:

, or buy some of the expensive thermal fluid
If your doing it In the oven

Nevermind, I know what you mean