Dealing with static electricity... MAJOR NO NO

that is great advise, also, make sure your team stays hydrated, believe it or not, made a huge improvement for me personally, used to get shocked all the time

4 Likes

Welcome to the future @Jusdra! Thanks for the advice. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

@pdxcanna is very right - it really depends on the hose. The static dissipative hoses Iā€™ve used in the past have a wire through them, that also gets grounded (its connected to the skid that is grounded).

Just because something is SS doesnā€™t mean that its actually grounded. You check with the multimeter as indicated by pdx. And it also depends on things like which clamps you are using (if any) if there are gaskets present (sometimes they get in the way of a connection).

And Iā€™ve seen hoses that appeared to be grounded - generate static with materials traveling through them because they were not grounded in their normal way.

Things I have seen - actual flexible ground wire connected to hose housing/sleeve. dissipative hoses designed with this in mind - hoses that had a sign that said ā€œtap me firstā€ - think like the signs at gas stations.

Like @cyclopath showed many moons ago Swagelok does have special hoses for this - and they will tell you all about it if you ask. :slight_smile:

If you really want to get into itā€¦ thereā€™s an ISO for this - Standard 8031:2020 which really gets into how things should be manufactured to prevent OR allow charges to move along hoses. It also includes how you can test them yourself, if you were so inclined.

And @Jusdra is so right - keeping yourself hydrated and grounded goes a long way as well.

People look at me all squirrelly eyed about my safety protocolsā€¦ but we wear special shoes, with grounding belts, with grounding bars everywhere (so easily reachable), in an environment that controls for humidity (40-60% is the best!), with protective clothing (pants and jackets) for a reason.

The less static you produce yourself - the less likely you are to interact with a charge on something else. The less likely you are physically next to something when it sparks and catches fire.

And then we double down on extinguishers (I think there are 6ā€¦) and fire blankets - multiple exits out of the space - dry extinguishersā€¦ and all of that just in case something bad happens. Cause weā€™re already trying to make sure nothing bad happens.

Even with all of that operators will still do weird stuff. Likeā€¦ you knowā€¦ use their cellphoneā€¦ and drop it in a fresh pan. x.X So you canā€™t plan for everything - so training everyone is super important. I try to get them with the vendor of the equipment, then with an outside expert like @Dred_pirate and then with me. I try to make sure all my team leads also get HAZWOPER training - that way they are looking and seeing things in a different way.

Understanding the why behind safety a little bit more.

You know?

7 Likes

Sounds like a great place to work! Safety has definitely been my biggest priority since getting into the rec market. Had yet to find much good data. Recently started grounding staff when pouring extract. Always had fire blankets and fire resistant clothing. No C1D1 electronics has also been a standard, thankfully no phones in pans.

Testing the bonding and taking the HAZWOPER training are going to be implemented shortly. Thanks for the guidance everyone! Ive always had trust issues with this job and excited to check the electricians grounding jobā€¦

2 Likes

I use static disapating mats to stand on helps the back too, and after taking advice from thos forum groumd the collection tank and rack setup, not sure if both need if all connected together?

Any feedback 1 groumd on solvent tank groumds everything connected? Or was i correct to groumd rack as srll?

Agree saftey expensive bit cheaper than hospital bill

You should ground each skid/rack. That would include the solvent tank / tanks. I usually have a ground bar with whips coming off it - so I can ground things as they come in the room. I even have my table grounded where any whipping/stirring/etc. occurs. Just in case.

And yes - grounding all of it helps. That way any built up electrons have somewhere to go. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Even though every vessel is mounted to the same staineless skid and those mounting points are all metal to metal. There is also an additional grounding strap attaching each vessel to the skid and then the skid itself is attached to a ground that goes to the buildings ground.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s what the holeā€™y water was about :shushing_face:

1 Like

Honestly the quickest way to make people believe the importance of safety
Is to set things on fire
Two wires and a bicycle light will ignite almost everything from a distance
Still need to figure out a way to demonstrate the danger of pressure and endcaps flying off at even 30psi
Wich honestly scares me more on a daily

7 Likes

A lil acetylene in a ballon, that shows what a lil bit can do.

2 Likes

Well yes and no I like to show that some heavy gases can travel and still ignite reason I ALWAYS have a ventilator on site even outdoors in the open

6 Likes

I used to pressure test auto parts after we would blow mold these high heat plastics for air induction systems.ā€™

When we got to the 30-40 PSI and a piece would fail it was an intense little rupture even underwater

people dont realize 30 PSI and anything above is just straight up deadly

I remember our hydraulic system failed one nightshift from sabotage from an employee and the Mold slammed shut releasing like 2000 PSI from the hydraulics literally like 10 feet away from me sounded like sonic boom and started the machine on fireā€¦good times in the machine shop lol

4 Likes

People hear ā€˜30 poundsā€™ and forget about the ā€˜per square inchā€™ part

7 Likes

Exactly
When working long hours and days on end with these units you get oblivious to the risks
My main problem is beeing super focused but once distracted I loose it and takes me time to get back into that focused mode
God I hate it when silly dumb insecure questions are asked when working
Reason I probably love working alone without music yust the voices in my head :joy:

4 Likes

just the hum of chillers and heaters to work to :joy: music to my ears

2 Likes

couple splashes of pressure release, some gurgling from the liquid. The orchestra of the Lab haha

3 Likes

I like all the ground straps your booth has.

3 Likes

Yes! Thatā€™s whatā€™s up. If any of the other well established labs care to share their bonding set up that would be great!

Long ass copper rod into the ground like 8 ft and then a copper panel with certain gauge wires going into each individual piece of equipment.

1 Like

@Cassin I wonder if your facility is by mine in michigan we should link sometime! Your grounding job is the exact same as mine except I wasnt smart enough to put it on the ceiling haha

2 Likes