Dealing with static electricity... MAJOR NO NO

Any value to putting a coarse grounded screen - or multiples for that matter - right where pour out occurs? If sparks happen inside the liquid between the PTFE hose and a grounded screen before the pour off spout the environment where the sparks are likely to occur wouldn’t have any oxygen to light off with, no?

2 Likes

Good ole educational vids, I got a fetish for this kinda shjt

11 Likes

Just something about those vintage vids brings out the warm n fuzzies. Thanks for sharing. It was a very informative and enlightening video, with a lot of relevant info.

5 Likes

I love the voice

1 Like

It usually doesn’t pose a risk. However, if the conditions of the OP were present, then the shed static electricity could potentially remain on/around the glass vessel, grounding as soon as it came into contact with something conductive, or shedding/sharing static electrons onto the next insulator to come in contact with it.

2 Likes

Total loss.

2 Likes

God damn…

1 Like

Burned right through that galvanized roof, shit must’ve been burning for a while.

4 Likes

Luckily no one was hurt. My understanding they were able to prevent any equipment from exploding and it was a contained to a fire. Still so upsetting.

1 Like

I advice owners of these businesses (unless traditional…or not) to schedule an OSHA-30 class for all its employees working with flammable solvents. Lots of great info on the subject.

10 Likes

Found a static electricity elimination spray in my cabinet like 10 mins ago.

They still exist. Static Guard Spray 5.5oz 4-Pack

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GBC3KZC/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_AS4PBXSFQGD46BFFM89M

100% on fire training. You can spend an hour on fire extinguisher technique alone. This is so important.

7 Likes

I use anti static mats to stand on wwhile working. They have different types of mats for grounding needs.
Mayb groumd components in lab as well.

3 Likes

Yes ma’am, I just recently got my cpr certs too. I think every facility should have a couple of employees who are certified to perform cpr.

10 Likes

And basic first aid. This is all part of a robust quality program and I’m for it, every bit of it.

8 Likes

Thanks, I’m filling all my extinguishers with paint now… I never really used them before.

https://viralart.vandalog.com/read/chapter/katsus-videos/

3 Likes

You should try filling them with flour or powdered milk…

2 Likes

I fill them with weed and butane and spray into a buchner

1 Like

Try weed and CO2

See: Open blast CO2

1 Like

While this dead thread can be revived, @CuriousFurious can not be brought back. He was the one who started this thread, and I was only made aware today that he died either in or due to a lab explosion in southern Oregon 2ish years ago.

He was an amazing human, and probably the most safety focused employee I have ever had in a lab setting. I have no idea what happened, but I did hear he went back into the building to try and fix whatever the emergency was that caused the explosion and his subesquent death.

If anyone has any information about what happened, I would really appreciate knowing. Feel free to shoot me a DM or post it here so that we can all learn and be better/safer.

Even when mitigating the risks we are presented with as extractors, bad things can happen. Hug your loved ones and stay vigilant. Whether you are in the recreational or traditional market, these types of accidents are preventable, and there is no hash on the face of this earth that is worth your life.

Rest in peace @CuriousFurious.

19 Likes