Dealing with static electricity... MAJOR NO NO

I use static disapating mats to stand on helps the back too, and after taking advice from thos forum groumd the collection tank and rack setup, not sure if both need if all connected together?

Any feedback 1 groumd on solvent tank groumds everything connected? Or was i correct to groumd rack as srll?

Agree saftey expensive bit cheaper than hospital bill

You should ground each skid/rack. That would include the solvent tank / tanks. I usually have a ground bar with whips coming off it - so I can ground things as they come in the room. I even have my table grounded where any whipping/stirring/etc. occurs. Just in case.

And yes - grounding all of it helps. That way any built up electrons have somewhere to go. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Even though every vessel is mounted to the same staineless skid and those mounting points are all metal to metal. There is also an additional grounding strap attaching each vessel to the skid and then the skid itself is attached to a ground that goes to the buildings ground.

4 Likes

That’s what the hole’y water was about :shushing_face:

1 Like

Honestly the quickest way to make people believe the importance of safety
Is to set things on fire
Two wires and a bicycle light will ignite almost everything from a distance
Still need to figure out a way to demonstrate the danger of pressure and endcaps flying off at even 30psi
Wich honestly scares me more on a daily

7 Likes

A lil acetylene in a ballon, that shows what a lil bit can do.

2 Likes

Well yes and no I like to show that some heavy gases can travel and still ignite reason I ALWAYS have a ventilator on site even outdoors in the open

6 Likes

I used to pressure test auto parts after we would blow mold these high heat plastics for air induction systems.’

When we got to the 30-40 PSI and a piece would fail it was an intense little rupture even underwater

people dont realize 30 PSI and anything above is just straight up deadly

I remember our hydraulic system failed one nightshift from sabotage from an employee and the Mold slammed shut releasing like 2000 PSI from the hydraulics literally like 10 feet away from me sounded like sonic boom and started the machine on fire…good times in the machine shop lol

4 Likes

People hear ‘30 pounds’ and forget about the ‘per square inch’ part

7 Likes

Exactly
When working long hours and days on end with these units you get oblivious to the risks
My main problem is beeing super focused but once distracted I loose it and takes me time to get back into that focused mode
God I hate it when silly dumb insecure questions are asked when working
Reason I probably love working alone without music yust the voices in my head :joy:

4 Likes

just the hum of chillers and heaters to work to :joy: music to my ears

2 Likes

couple splashes of pressure release, some gurgling from the liquid. The orchestra of the Lab haha

3 Likes

I like all the ground straps your booth has.

3 Likes

Yes! That’s what’s up. If any of the other well established labs care to share their bonding set up that would be great!

Long ass copper rod into the ground like 8 ft and then a copper panel with certain gauge wires going into each individual piece of equipment.

1 Like

@Cassin I wonder if your facility is by mine in michigan we should link sometime! Your grounding job is the exact same as mine except I wasnt smart enough to put it on the ceiling haha

2 Likes

My electrician said the bonding in the warehouse was all done through building steel. No idea if that is legit. Excited to try the multimeter…

One time this was the case, as the steel building had been grounded as part of construction. One time this was not the case, as the steel building had been placed but not grounded.

Crazy part with the second one was it was causing all kinds of other issues with electronics and scales and what not - because the building wasn’t actually grounded… so it was building up that charge and causing things to be weird.

So yeah - check with that multimeter. Never hurts to check. Even when I see a ground bar - I check it before I use it the first time, a couple times in my life I’ve seen people get an ARC which nearly killed them from grounds that were not completed correctly.

5 Likes

Posted

3 Likes

Yeah even taking off a material column clamp with a few psi is pretty violent

1 Like