Dealing with static electricity... MAJOR NO NO

Lots of info on RH and static floating around for data centers. Consider not running any forced air if you can avoid it, R.H. at least 55%

5 Likes

I bought a static free fire resistant jumpsuit online

20 Likes

Need a “Grounding for Dumbies” guide

Nitrile gloves and a lot of plastics can quickly work up a lot of static. Especially in dry climates. Adding humidity can be tough if you have high air turnover. There are grounding mats too for like $100

7 Likes

Ground your equipment and use static dissipative hoses.

https://ph.parker.com/us/en/static-dissipative-ptfe-hose-with-silicone-jacket-929bj/929bj-16

7 Likes

You need below 40% RH to form a static arc. You can still form a charge between 40-60%, but it usually grounds out using the moisture in the air.

I always have an alarm set at 35% (since there is always saw in how your HVAC will work). Set it for 45% - stop work if it alarms at 35% and fix the issue, then start work again.

Everything else about static mats, wristbands, shoes, etc. sure sure, PPE is good for people. Start with the engineering controls so in case someone isn’t using the PPE correctly you have a reduced risk right off the bat.

Before my life in cannabis I worked with explosive powders with MIE of less than 0.5. Humidity was the key to maintaining our safety.

Let us know what you decide to go with!

23 Likes

This is the link to a similair thread that also has some links in it.

4 Likes

Not sure how well it would work in an extraction lab/booth where people are moving around a bunch, but you can get grounding wristbands which connect to a ground source from some better computer/nerd stores. Something like this: https://www.microcenter.com/product/616539/duratool-anti-static-elastic-wrist-band

5 Likes

Humdity is huge after moving to a area with 10% humidity and carrying anti static devices and literally shoving them in my pockets, bed sheets, etc.

Don’t matter how much anti static devices/materials is in that room if your humiditys that low it’ll preside.

This was me a while back. Lol

Great stuff guys. Thankyou everyone. Sincerely.

We were on the verge of making arrangements to lay some primer and then apoxy floors.

Will this have a dampening effect?

Compared to concrete?

Is there such thing as ESD flooring? ESD apoxy for that matter?..

So, if I’m understanding what you’re saying, you’re alluding to turning off all fans? Blowing in, sucking out?..

Was in touch with BHOgart about their full bodied jump suits… rather the only thing I’ve ever been attracted too from them… any response as to the quality and effectiveness of their retardant suits?

Other preferences?..

This seems odd. Makes sense, but odd.

Can one be wearing nitrile gloves and successfully ground themselves by touching metal table/door, or ESD mat?

Gloves are coming on and off all day.

Would you recommend getting into a practice of grounding oneself before/after wearing and removing nitrile gloves?

2 Likes

If they’re not actively assisting in reducing the flammable gas concentration then yes

3 Likes

Check out “nomex IIIa coverall” compare to “carbon x” and “drifire” these all seem acceptable some are blended with kevlar and static dissapative fabrics. These have very high arc ratings and there are some impressive videos online of workers putting these suits to test as seen during some serious industrial/electrical accidents.
Some colleges started using the basic nomex IIIa fabric with a chemical splash protection called Nomex FR/CP Lab coat or coverall style. Some started doing this after a young woman lost her life working with a pyrophoric organomettalic catalyst at UCLA she was not wearing fire retardant clothing-RIP…These are made by dupont and some partners you can find at bulwark.com-currently out of stock in my size so I went with “national safety apparel” @ www.thinknsa.com who refered me to Austin owner of firebrand safety. Austin helped me organize my order between National Safety Apparels inventory and I even got some static dissapative boots with his partner at redwing boots. He put my order together quickly and ensured us everything was in stock and ready to ship. I liked the nomex FR/CP lab coat/coverall for a basic lab protection. We chose to go with more fire/arc protection instead and opted for the category 2 level of protection since the nomex fr/cp is only level 1. I did this because I liked the carbon x materials performance during various burn tests compared to nomex IIIa. Carbon x seems to have just a little more resistance for each category. National safety apparel has long sleeve shirt and long pants for undergarmet protection made with carbon x/drifire and other inherent fire retardant suppliers…Very impressive for how thin the fabric is. Or if you want to move fast and be light shop, “walero nomex underwear” developed with nasa & used by formula 1 race car drivers. Very light weight with outstanding fire protection just a little pricey. At least you’ll be dressed to go fast. You can find the race undies @ places like, “competitionmotorsport.com
You can reach austin @
Phone - 316-641-0349
Email:
asharp@firebrandsafety.com

Make sure you & your employees are protected and do not charge them or make them pay for this clothing. Do not wear polyester while working with solvents. Cotton seems to be the accepted undergarment if you just choose an outer coverall or lab coat type of protection.

9 Likes

Don’t trust bhogart with your safety :safety_vest:

8 Likes

can static hit if you are standing in snow? I know its static in my house because the vac cleaner hose is covered.

Sure it can. Standing in snow doesn’t necessarily mean you are grounded. So if you have a charge on you - and the humidity is such that an arc is possible - and you come into contact with something else that is either sufficiently charged in the opposite direction or you are very charged and you come into something that is not charged then you can get an arc.

I try to think of static charge like normal electricity - if you could exchange a charge across something, then you can exchange a static charge too. You know?

Similar rules apply to higher voltage arcs, regarding humidity, distance, things to do to protect yourself, etc. Only instead of a tiny spark that might be an ignition source… you’re hit with an arc with a constant flow, protected only by your PPE, good practice, and hopefully a circuit breaker somewhere before your ass is roasted.

If you really want to know more about it…there’s an awesome book in the Library of Congress. :smiley: Its all about how to make the charge, dissipate the charge, technology that uses the charge, technology that is hindered by the charge. Devices from the old days (1600s) - devices from the new age (1900s).

5 Likes

Question for anyone inclined would a 14g extension cord connected to a Unistrut rack be sufficient for a reliable ground? Is the wire size even going to matter its only for static I am assuming it wont matter? My house main steel conduit is exposed where it comes in was thinking would be a good point of connection and would have no power just a ground.

1 Like