DEA says D8 from Hemp is not a Controlled Substance

Interesting. They must have got some kind of directive to back down.

Of course this doesn’t cover all the carts, etc, that are not actually compliant to begin with.

2 Likes

Yea, this doesn’t resolve the whole debate. But an important part. I’m not surprised by their stance but at the same time I kind of am, you know?

I’m surprised, it wasn’t long ago they were still raiding compliant medical grows

it would be nice if they would just issue a clear directive, the IFR language about synthetically derived is confusing

2 Likes

I am at only about 80th percentile of members in this forum when it comes to scientific knowledge but I seem to remember you can make cannabinoids (D9?) from orange peels or olivetol or something, right?

terpene synthesis is possible, I don’t know the finer details. I believe THCp is made from olivetol and 5-heptyl resorcinol

3 Likes

Yep and it’s illegal since it’s synthetic

There’s some 6% thc p strains out there, soon we’ll see hemp derived thcp everywhere right now it’s all synthetic

4 Likes

Cause its not derived from hemp - eh? Even though it has hopefully less than 0.3% d/w D9THC. Yeah?

2 Likes

People dont realize D8 THC P is scheduled as a synthetic cannabinoid so CBD P and D9 THC P are direct pre cursors and there for illegal.

This wouldn’t apply to a hemp derivative though.

2 Likes

Your link is clickbait garbage from scumbag lawyers. A law firm’s spam article about dea statements from September and June is not news. Nothing has changed at all. DEA statements are not law, because they are non binding. They can change their mind tomorrow if they wanted. And the human scum writing that article knows that little detail, but is leaving it out, because they would be less sensationalist if they told the full story.

4 Likes

The headline is perfectly accurate: “DEA says D8 not scheduled”. That’s exactly what they said. They could of course, say whatever they want and change their mind like you said. Still a story of interest I would say.

I have to say this really surprises me. I did not think they would go in this direction. I still think it will eventually be either banned or rolled into the rec system though.

5 Likes

You are talking about the most highly respected attorney / firm in hemp.

1 Like

I believe you. Yet I stand by what I said. It is malpractice to tell people that dea comments are the law. Yet they can do it in public on the internet, which gives you an idea how much the legal practice is actually regulated. Is d8 legal? Probably. Will you go to jail for it? Probably not. That is the only answer and that is not the same as yes and no.

Because it’s much easier to grab people making non compliant m. Way more money in this.

I know of ~40 people that would disagree so far

1 Like

40 people since d8 sales started ? Doesn’t seem like a lot honestly.

2 Likes

Assuming that’s the entire population of folks popped for D8 is probably a dumb idea.

He said of whom he knew of, not that he was an omniscient observer of the D8 community.

1 Like

that’s just what’s made the news

most of the states I’ve pulled records for just charge it as THC, there’s no distinct code for delta 8 so the stats are fuck-y

2 Likes

Could you imagine smoking a 6% thcp strain?

You’d get high for days off of a joint.

1 Like

^ facts. D8 is legal…but if you are over the limit that’s disty.

Of course they want d8 legal!

this is the first one I’ve seen the edibles returned on

2 Likes