Correcting dist ph after running through magsil

@Photon_noir knows, I’ll betcha!

6 Likes

It doesn’t sound unreasonable to be able to do that. I mean you change the ph one way running through powder why wouldn’t you be able to correct it the same way. I am interested in this as well. I am currently sitting on 2 liters of distillate that popped for Pyrethrin and Piperonyl Butoxide. I figured out how to remediate them but don’t have a chromatography column to readjust the ph.

1 Like

Heard that you can use AA 1:1 ratio to magsil, I’m gonna try out various ratios to see how little AA i can use and it still work good

Also if you don’t have a chromo column I’ve used a fritted disk buchner filter under vac and it works great, just make a slurry with clean solvent first and vac it so it packs good then run your dist/heptane mix through it but don’t let it go dry and try to keep the top as undisturbed as possible, use a stainless spoon or tool to smooth it out as you go and use a cold trap to protect your pump from the heptane vapors or dont go so deep on vac that you evap heptane

1 Like

Where’s the all knowing one at @Photon_noir have you tried this??

2 Likes

Inline ph reading without water present is not possible
I would dare say that the ph should not be affected so much as to be an isseu for distilling since magsil can be used in small amounts directly inside the boiling flask for color remediation

6 Likes

Look at the problem again…

Maybe @thesk8nmidget will post the column he just finished a PBO remediation through.

Edit: Pyrex Tubes, Pyrex Cylinders, Sight Glass?

7 Likes

Here’s a pic and video.

A chromatography column is as simple as that. A column. Control the flow with a valve at the end, and you can control residence times. Obviously this works for solvents that won’t evap at room temp but I also use these same columns with a metering pump to do “closed” chromatography runs

This was as basic as I could get for a little r&d scale remediation, but I have used these same glass columns (in various sizes) to scale up to my 100l stainless columns. The Sep funnel to column is a great way to “automate” your feed rate to match your elution rate.

15 Likes

Yea that’s why i said I’d do a water wash and test the ph of the mix i run through it with different amounts of AA. Ive read a lot of people do water washes to correct ph after magsil and i get some pretty bad oxidation sometimes especially if i use too much magsil

You ever tried nitrogen pushing the dist/heptane mix through a closed loop instead of using columns or doing it under vac? I’m about to try the closed loop method next week and have been doing it under vac for a while. It’s so painfully slow doing it with no vac or push

Immediately after distillation vs 1 day later

yes, pushing is going to be much easier vs pulling with vacuum.

2 Likes

Tip on cheapest way to get push? Like will a compressor work?

Sep funnel on top is a great idea.

1 Like

Yes but make sure u empty that compressor of water frequently and get an inline drying filter, to minimize the amount of water u push in.

2 Likes

Here is the blurb I wrote in response to customer question regarding Magsil and Spinosin, @TheFire210 …The last lines in parentheses contains the kind of answer you seek, I believe.

General recommendations for MagSil PR:

Solvent should be non-polar (e.g., an alkane, such as n-heptane), NOT alcohol.
Use 10X MagSil PR weight to contaminated cannabinoid product weight… I.e., 10g MagSil to 1g distillate.

Use MagSil PR in a column, typically as (normal phase) chromatography stationary phase, rather than as a simple filtration medium. It is best to use MagSil PR as the 2nd to last step in your pesticide remediation protocol… The last step is pH equilibration of the product by washing with pure distilled water (with NaCl, then without), until the pH of the pure water after washing is the same as it was before washing. This pH is normally 6.2 to 6.8 at typical room temperatures.

I can say with a high degree of certainty that MagSil should be an effective stationary phase in the retention of spinosoids due to its polarity, structure and effective pH (when in contact with water or molecules of opposing effective pH character, like spinosoids). Also, this effect would be best employed in combination with mobile phase (solvent) of normal (straight chain) alkanes, like n-butane (C4) to n-heptane (C7)… so it is suitable for BHO systems with in-line CRC (color remediation chromatography) columns, probably those with increasingly polar & effectively acidic media layers in the direction of flow (for example, Alumicel B or MagSil on top, then the other of the two, then Silica gel, then Alumicel N, then Alumicel A, then acid-activated clay and/or charcoal like T-41).

3 Likes

Three things required to make fire.

You’ve got one.

I don’t recommend deliberately adding a second.

In case you accidentally generate the third.

I suggest nitrogen. Which CAN be reused if you’re clever…

Edit: cheapest method is gravity.

Watch some actual chromatography videos to see how it’s done…Eg this one from MIT Column Chromatography | MIT Digital Lab Techniques Manual - YouTube

And for the others not aware: MIT Open Source Classes

3 Likes

The MIT classes are so cool.

4 Likes

I used hot butane vapors to clear my heptane column lol

indeed.

staying above the UEL is another way of avoiding those pesky 'splosions…

They use pressure in that video. It’s actually what lead me to ask.

I remember the great one @Beaker uses a paintbrush air compressor or something along those lines