Construction of a etho still under vacuum

Bumping is when the substance you’re boiling boils over into the condenser/still head/collection flask. It’s also known as “puking” with ethanol distillers.

2 Likes

Oh ok. I’m working on a 100 gal vac still. Wondering about a mixer also

1 Like

Be aware that the mixer you’ve linked doesn’t have seals which will hold vacuum, when I asked about that on a different mixer they said you had to inquire and get them quoted out.

Good point. I’ll try and get a part number on the one I’ve got. Hope nobody was lead astray. That was meant to be illustrative of the style, not an actual product recommendation

So put a 1000 watt heater on bottom to pressure test and see disstilation speed of the still :sob:A gallon an hour :weary:
Any by clossing al valves the evaporating ethanol build up to a pressure making iT easyier to find ( spray bottle with soap water) leaks
Found Some small ones in the welds and fittings )
So soon i Will put her under vacuum still Need to assemble the magnet mixer
And get the Damn stirbar 18cm long 4 cm thick with a weight lifting halter shape to be able to work in the concaved botom
Put Some dry ice on top to make the condensation more effective fori was having a lot of vapor in the receiving tank
Think that a Shotgun setup is better with these diameters

6 Likes

Yeah that was meant as an example not a recommendation on an exact model.

As you can see, mine does have a seal…

2 Likes

@cyclopath how about You share Some sizes of that beast You are running
Diameter of the boiling tank
Diameter of the head (vigreax)
And diameter of the cooler
Have a strong feeling i am having to much reflux ( vapor not traveling to the cooler but staying inside the head condensing and falling Back into the boiling tank)

1 Like

the 100gal still has made it into it’s permanent home, but it’s not in service yet.

It’s also out of my direct control at this point.

I also didn’t do the design work. just found the still builder.

the smaller stills I’ve posted were my work, but as stated above, I’m a biologist, and tend to guess and iterate rather than math then build. Getting the heating to cooling right took me a little playing. a shotgun style condenser would be my next move on your still.

3 Likes

where did you get those tanks from?

1 Like

Those tanks are tanks that used to be inside warmwater housing boilers
Solar heating systems also use them
Easely found till 500 liter cappacity

3 Likes

http://distillique.co.za/distilling_shop/articles/how-to-use-a-water-jacket-boiler.html

Super interesting read

1 Like

Great project very interesting to read through, how is it running now?
I have been running a still I bought used but the material is too thin to run a vacuum, but I have been considering upgrading bits of it so I could pull a vacuum…

What temperatures did you try to reach without vaccum?
How much of a vacuum are you pulling, is there a rule of thumb with thickness of stainless and how much of a vacuum is safe to pull?

Great job and looking forward to hear what kind of numbers your build is getting!

don’t suppose anyone downloaded this info?
the link no longer working…

http://distillique.co.za/distilling_shop/articles/how-to-use-a-water-jacket-boiler.html

what are you trying to remember lol?

I can t find the resourse any more either but the artikel was about
Filling a jacket that had a heating element only enough with water for the heating element to be submerged and
Leting the steam of the boiling water heat the jacket
Setting the input heat at a temperature
At a temp where only slight amount of steam would escape the jacket and most to condense inside the jacket
Is when you have reached the maximum amount of heat transfer for that jacket with water /steam at nomal pressure
Using steam to heat the largest part of the jacket gives a far greater heat transfer than hot water up to 6x
Thus running the still a lot faster

3 Likes

I wanna sesh with you

1 Like