Condensing Butane with air

it works, but your boiling point may get a little higher than you’d like depending on ambient temperatures

Yust buy the freezer side radiator with fans from a walk in freezer
So the evaporator in the walk-in freezer
And let butane run treu the radiator outside with the fans on
The evaporators have 3/8 tubing

3 Likes

I have a pretty sizable evaporator ready to go, but never considered it because its copper.

1 Like

Copper is not so bad as long as the thing is clean and presssure rated

2 Likes

its pressure rated, cleanliness unknown.

1 Like

Copper is fairly easily cleaned. As long as the environment isn’t particularly wet or acidic you should be good. Descale with hot lye solution, neutralize, then make a vinegar/salt solutions and wash it well, it’ll pretty much sparkle. Make sure you neutralize afterwards of course

4 Likes
3 Likes

You gonna run pentane and ln2? Lol

Correct me if I’m wrong but can’t you mix Acetone and Salt Water with dry ice to make a watered down coolant?

sounds like ice in or on a dry ice/acetone slurry to me.

your salt water mix will freeze around -22C I believe. no matter how much salt you add.

certain it will do this in a container/tube immersed in dry ice/acetone.

pretty sure it will do the same without the container.

So its not going past - 22 when I add dry ice to salt water… Seems like it gets colder than that.

After that it will get colder, just not as a liquid. Freezing point depression only works so far, I imagine because the water becomes saturated

1 Like

Depends on the salt used and if it’s crushed ice or cubes
Either way no liquid water very little will be present
The moisture catching salt you find in the supermarket think it s called damprid
Is potassium salt can get to -54 C ( top of my head)

1 Like

I’ve been using regular iodized table salt from the dollar store.

This shit.

When I use dry ice and about 3-5lbs of [usually] iodized salt I stir the shit out of it until its stops bu belong and once the bubbling stops the dry ice is pretty much so stirred that it shrivels away… Well most the dry ice does. More than enough room for my pump. There’s maybe sometimes a small handful clumped together on a side of the bucket or like a small 1/4" layer but it melts relatively quick. Again though in a 5 gal bucket there’s more than enough room even if there’s a layer of ice, as long as your pump isn’t designed to suck from the bottom like an industrial sump pump made for emptying pools, you’re fine.

Just don’t fill a 5 gal bucket all the way and then dump dry ice in it and walk away… My light fixture found that out the hard way a while back😅

What are the health risks associated with being around the vapors of potassium salt?

None potassium salt is actually more environment friendly than table salt it s edible
And less harsh on stainless steel
Only isseu is there is barely any liquid a mush of ICE and salt so the heat transfer I asume is less
You can regenerate the salt and use again if you wish

1 Like