Condenser is truth. Wfe settings

Water clear in cart is done with water washes between pass… no matter how you swing it, theres a yellow fraction you cant remove with fractional separation, unless you can get deadly accurate with that condenser temp… it might be there. Water clear in volume needs additional chroma work… but i have been getting lighter and lighter colors each pass… but i typically have been stopping at 2 passes

4 Likes

Thats not true, i run unwinterized all the time. Works extrenely well every time. Also. Strain specific is a lie… these are concepts im trying to avoid. Instead of working stuff that isnt related to this post. Start working on trying the methods and see what happens

3 Likes

I already dialed down the RFE in two weeks running it. Was I at 100% most efficient nope. I gave up my job so I haven’t had a chance to jump back on one to nail down the final peice. Y’all are getting close but still it’s lnight and day on how we run. Have you ever had clear distillate pour down in your residue chamber bc the condenser can’t keep up?

I don’t give out this spoon for free unless they meet the criteria I have for this knowledge and accept my terms. If you read any of my previous post with distillation you will be able to put it together.

Running winterized will make it more efficient. Fats and lipids holds resistance on cannabinoids to pull from the crude. So does sugars… salts deteriorate your system… can you run the system without taking these things out. Sure but when time is money and I can get a better pull in less time than it only makes sense to do this.

I can’t expect you to see these things happening bc you’re not running a chemtech. The carousel feature is the greatest piece of equipment to dial down a system. Instead of filling the distillate in the dead center of the harvest pod slightly adjust the carousel so it pours along the side of the wall. You will see everything that’s happening to your distillate. Plus there are 6 pods and each parameter adjustment can be used for each. At the end of the week I’m having 6 times the amount of recorded data than somebody who isn’t using one.

I’m not starting a pissing contest and every bit of information I’m providing is useful if they know how to interpret it.

Here is a sample form for anybody who needs a D.A.C sheet to record data
D.A.C.

2 Likes

working through several temperature variations but started to dial in the color a bit tonight. Will have more details on my runs one we perfect a couple things.

One of the issues I think I’m happening is the temperature of the liquid once it hits atmosphere. Going to run some tests for that this week.

4 Likes

What percentages are we working with? On anyone’s tech here?

This is the closes theory i discovered that relates to what is happening with distillate pouring in ambient air. In short youre getting effected by open pouring.

1 Like

Percentages?

1 Like

What’s your feed vs output cannabanoid content.

1 Like

Ahh thats material dependent but also it changes depending on what your condenser temp is. Thats part of what were working on. Thc is clear in volume… so color removal via condenser temp is only a benefit

4 Likes

wow that’s going so quick!!!

1 Like

Such a pretty machine… good job @densone

1 Like

Thanks man. I love this machine, but it’s leaky. I can’t get vac below 4.0E-2 at the cold trap. The guys that run it are an awesome crew from Indiana learning their way into the biz. The coil thing is one of them is very mechanically inclined and can fix stuff quick:

I’m working with 2 companies that have the same machine, so it’s a blast getting them both dialed in.

I think the biggest challenge I have right now is the temp of the oil when it hits open air.

3 Likes

Maybe a nitrogen stream gently flowing near the outlet could mediate any heat related issues

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing your information @anon42519203!
I’m about to venture into ethanol or heptane/hexane extraction.
Kinda intimidating making the switch over from butane…
I’m kinda leaning towards starting with SPD hot condenser before moving into a wiper because my current situation doesn’t justify the additional expenses of a wiper. Only because I can get a roto and spd cheaper than a wiper…
But again thankful for people who openly share! So glad I found this website!!!
Looking forward to seeing the pictures and videos…

3 Likes

Ooh lala, I should try that or maybe argon into the jar while it’s dripping .

4 Likes

Both seem like good ideas

3 Likes

Ethanol yields suck if you’re making eho and disty unless you have a fuge, you’re better off doing a butane run, winterizing with ethanol then go for disty from there. Honestly if you have a butane system just winterize with etoh and then go thru the steps to get to disty.

I heard you can use the crc to get lighter stuff and strip some terps prior to making disty.

2 Likes

There are a couple of reasons why I am leaning towards ethanol or hexane/heptane extractions.

First, my butane extractor is labor intensive and I’m still nervous every time I use it because of the flammability/explosive nature of the solvent and nervous about operating it inside my home (my old house had a shed out back). It’s a CLS Bi-directional BVV 1lb unit. It was purchased when I lived in a green-friendly state and I’ve relocated since then and it’s very unfriendly here. Also, due to having to purchase dry ice, and distill the Solvents, is kind of a factor as well. There’s gotta be a way to make it more efficient. Even though I’ve operated it several times, I feel I’m still kinda green at this and have several questions regarding it’s use…

Secondly, I have access to ethanol, heptane, and hexane for free. The downside is I’ll need to purchase an SPD set up, pumps, chillers, and a rotovap. I feel kinda lost as to what size SPD to go with, what pumps to buy, what chiller I’ll need, and what size rotovap I’ll need? Like most people I do not have an infinite amount of money to spend or experience with chemistry type projects. But I’m intelligent enough, college educated (business management degree) and learn quickly.

Looking to move to whatever is less labor intensive. If I am able to modify my current CLS setup by fully making it fully jacketed (column, base, and platter) maybe it would not be so much lifting, eliminating the dry ice factor, involving the circulation of hot water for recovery, and maybe even a nitrogen push? I feel would also be beneficial in working towards achieving my goals of being more efficient and less labor intensive. Additionally, I’ve never felt like my CLS completely saturates the biomass, it seems almost like it’s channeling and not a complete saturation? I have so many questions LOL…

Like most people I do not have an infinite amount of money to spend or experience with chemistry type projects. But I’m intelligent enough, college educated (business management degree) and learn quickly.

Additionally, hemp is being grown locally by a close personal friend, and would love to be able to help him by being able to process it for him. He’s got around 80 acres of it. And unfortunately was ripped off by his current processor, they have never paid him for the 2019 biomass harvest. But that’s a totally different creature…

Cool, but let’s keep it on topic. Maybe start a new post to ask these questions

6 Likes

Depending on the system, i typically run butane material directly into my wiper. Do 2 passes, one for terps/heads second for mains removal… then i winterize. Then chromatography. Then second pass. Great results. Just clean the wiper with limonene/ethanol before second pass

2 Likes