Co2 extraction problems

We noticed our hydrosols are best separated with freezing the water out. Last test showed it was oddly mostly Pinene. Most of the water separates in the funnel and sinks but whatevers left over we freeze to separate.

1 Like

Hey @KSlabs any experience first hand with terpene Collectors for decarb ovens, we currently run our terpenes through co2 however I’ve been thinking about a terpenes catch like the Odie or something similar for our cascade decarb oven.

1 Like

We used to collect our terpenes from the vacuum ovens during the decarb step for especially fresh or Terpene rich biomass. Helps with odor in production and we got some nice smelling batches of cannabis terpenes. I’m curious to see how it compares to your CO2 extractions.

1 Like

Has anyone tried putting zeolite in line during subcritical extraction? Would that work?

1 Like

I don’t see why there would be any issue with doing that. We use it inline after collection to dry the stream and it holds up fine up to 1000psi. We use a 0.1 um cartridge filter to catch the dust and make sure it doesn’t eat up seals and packings further down the line. I will say that if the pressure drop gets too large and oil starts dropping out on its way through, it will probably make a pretty sweet pipe plug though.

Does water pickup increase with pressure?

That is a great question that I have no idea the answer lol. We run five one liter filter vessels that are configurable between different medias and cartridge filters and I’ve never needed to run more than one full of 3A. I usually change it out every time I fill (100kg of CO2 from a Dewar) or every week of normal operation, but the collectors drop any water in the material pretty effectively. The AC and 13x we run to try to catch the terps though, that’s another story…

1 Like

We do a very similar process @Hashologist! It would out perfectly!! I am curious how do you use a freeze dryer? I am familiar with separation via separatory funnel however not a freeze dryer. I pull most of the water fraction with the terps and then eliminate the water content in the decarb.

Do you have pics or reference materials? I have some picture of our terp pulls I can post later when I am home! Would love to cross compare!

Are you running 3a inline during extraction?

1 Like

Probably not the way that you mean; we run it after collection to clean the solvent during recovery (ie on the way back to bulk storage or the pump bank)

1 Like

ā€œ7% terpene content in the endā€ @TreeMonsters is that after formulation or total recovery after extraction?

The 7% content in the end is my way of saying it constituted 7% of the total final product ready to be packaged and sold. My terpene yields on plant material, collected weight divided by input weight, range from 0.5% - 2.2% on average. That yield percentage largely depends on input quality, obviously. Hope that helps a bit.

1 Like

Any suggestion for Post Processing? I don’t have and EtOH skid.

I guess I’d have to know what kind of volume you’re running/what kind of products. Some people do really well with CO2 making good extracts straight out of the machine, others run a bunch of super fatty crude.

For the super fatty crude, the answers pretty much involve solvents. I like methanol and heptane personally

1 Like

Which filter did you buy? Is it high pressure?

Hey can you tell us more about the coalescing filter?

1 Like

Any advice on these settings? Thank you in advance

Any crazy temperature differentials? Any parts getting abnormally cold?

I guess im looking to dial in the proper settings for the temps and psi to pull a terp fraction on first pass then do a second pass pulling all the leftover cannabanoids.