Cloudy Shatter

First time making shatter and it’s coming out a bit cloudy. What do you all think?

Could be fats&waxes, thickness of the pour or simply the imprint of the wax paper onto the shatter making it appear hazy. If you want to restore the shine in the case of imprinting, run a heatgun over the surface of the shatter quickly to slightly melt and allow to cool without anything on top of it. Only do this on purged oils please.

2 Likes

Like this? Cloudy slabs are my specialty lol

Click the link

1 Like

Nah his problem is bigger than that…it’s a fatty waxy lipidy issue

2 Likes

I didn’t consider that the imprint would cause that. The second picture I posted was before the flip and before covering with wax paper overnight. Ill give the heat gun a try. it has been fully purged but that “not setting the place on fire” advice is always a good one!

1 Like

parchment paper can leave a film look sometimes

Check the thread I just posted tell me if that’s what it slabs look like and the after pics is what ur going for

At least the first post is

Ur second picture it looks alot better

I retract the statement about it’s all wax bc ur slabs look pretty clear
@NewLevelProcess is smart so it’s definitely something I’d consider

2 Likes

I had a feeling that could also be the case. Running this with -50c from a jacketed solvent tank

Freeze the material on dry ice before loading it in the column, tip of the day and run dry ice cold solvent

Ur second post didn’t look that bad

Be careful not to over purge it bc it’ll badder up…it starts making cloudy swirls then goes to badder

1 Like

Appreciate that. Have been considering storing the socks in a sub zero freezer before extraction to help the clarity. The second picture was before I placed a sheet of paper on top of the shatter.

1 Like

That would really help. I’ve did that on big rigs works like charm…I do suggest an injection coil if you don’t have one already

1 Like

Running an ETS 70

2 Likes

Still a little hazy so im leaning more towards fats in the extract still. Looks better than the first video though, so the imprint was a partial problem

2 Likes

Yeah did you click my link I first posted…it’s the same kinda cloudy just not as much

Before

And after

What u think this is this what ur looking for…this is pictures of my latest client w the cloudy slabs problem…he definitely doesn’t have cloudy slabs anymore

I gotta thank @Sidco_Cat aka momma bear for this lead. Me and the client worked great together figuring out all his issues at reasonable price

Some ppl would rather just pay for you to walk then through it and it be right the first time…others would rather read and experiment and get it on their own

3 Likes

You did all the hard work, my friend. Good looking out!

1 Like

A little bit of fats makes it snap ime

1 Like

Yeah and makes it stick to the dabber better

I’ve had stuff so much like glass it literally shattered at any temp and the dabber wouldn’t even pick it up bc was literally like hard glass…now granted was best shatter I ever seen hands down I made it precrc days

1 Like

The problem is you have added way too much pine sap to these slabs.

3 Likes

Hey StoneD! I would love to go over a few topics with you to tighten my game up.

absolutely a great idea. keep them in there at least an hour or two, this way the biomass and tube itself will be at a negative temp range and not add heat to your process.
and you can apply this widely – basically everything up to your final Winterization step, whatever that looks like (biomass, tubes, collection tank, filter plates) would benefit from living in a freezer or otherwise being chilled before being used, anything room temp will add heat to your solution and encourage fats to dissolve into solution, preventing any filters from catching them, thus ending up in your shatter. it looks like you’re on the right track thanks to the good advice above :+1:

1 Like