Closed loop recovery times, cooling and heating, vapor assist? Help

You’r asking rather than a permanent T fixture if you could hook up from the recovery pump mid run? You could but it’s not ideal. Heat up as second tank of gas and feed it in the column as a gas. I don’t like the idea of moving anything around until run is complete. You risk air in the system a along with other dangerous. Opening the system to the atmosphere counters the objective of running a closed loop.

2 Likes

I know this is an old post, but I’m looking to pump chilled alcohol through my jacketed column and collection. I was just wondering if there was a particular reason to use two pumps as you described rather than one of the more powerful magnetic drive pumps? And we’re talking 1/4" hoses n fittings corect?

I had 4 cmepols looped back for vapor push and it couldnt even hold a candle ro the heat wrap. I never tried nitro just because once it was started it wasnt shur off but sounds like it would do rhe same as the wrap depending on tour psi. I just never liked having to burp the nitro and it wasnt really an option with how many columns i was running at the time

2 Likes

Praxair remote monitors my dewar and fills it up automatically with co2

3 Likes

I’m getting one of those installed. Gas will go to grow and liquid will go to me

1 Like

That’s exactly what we do! Makes some interesting sounds when they fill it outside. Tanker truck full of liquid pulling up

1 Like

I can’t wait. Never having to swap a dewar in the middle of a run will be rather pleasent

2 Likes

Be on them while installing. They tried to install flexiline from my dewar to my accumulators. Didn’t properly install compression fittings, I basically undid everything they did and put in solid lines.
The vent from the liquid lines on the dewar takes me by surprise every time too

2 Likes

I’ll make sure they run a hard line. Even with the big tank outside, or the regular dewar that you cart around?

You use the eco 633 with an alcohol slurry?

I have yes. The pump isn’t in a slurry though

How do you do it?

The pump is in a bucket or pot. Surrounded by the slurry, cooling the bath and the pump to flow chilled solution.

4 Likes

And the bath you put the pump in is alcohol?

Correct. I wouldn’t use the heptane/alcohol mix. The plastic parts may not hold up.

3 Likes

I have a big dewar in the room, hard lined outside for fill and hard lined inside to my accumulators.

Definitely ‘level up!’

1 Like

so i have a question in regards to chilling the collection on intital fill.

I have a jacked collection base that I will run hot water through once I feel I have released as much

solvent as I can. I never have applied cold to my collection base for any reason because

realistically how would I chill it with alchohol then switch thermos to warm for recovery.

because its jacked. DO I just put the pump in cold water for the inital fill and surround the collection

with dry ice?

does it even matter if Im pushing with nitro.

I believe it is because even with pushing and burping at

high psi there is still about 1.5 per Lb loss

it just seem like I cant do both. any advice

or do I just recover whatever I can from the top to the collection base and eat the OIL yeild or run as crude if i wantd to . but i dont.

@globinhood Give the vapors a place to go. You do not need to chill the collection. In an active recovery setup, the pump does this. In a passive recovery setup, a cold recovery vessel under vacuum will do this.

so i just turn on the pump at the start of the run and allow that to pull all my solvent thru?

this issue has been one thats been perplexing me .

i will usually try to pushing as much through with n2 and then vent the collection safely to atmos

usually that will help me pull more solvent thru but by the time it starts locking completly

then i turn on the pump. I am always seeing decent amounts of solvent lost.