Closed Loop Accidents

Really really good fucking advice.

Im gonna start a HAACP protocol book this week and include specific protocols for things like this, cause this is a genuine life saver

5 Likes

yea man had he been a few inches closer to the collection pot or looking down into the sight glass I think it would have been a very bad outcome. He was spooked and needed a sling for a few weeks, but he learned alot and never made that mistake again.

My old helper did the same thing lol. He vaces it below 0. Was supposed tob atleast -10 and then was supposed to open a valve so it didnt build back pressure.
He forgot to open the valve and went to lunch and didnt look at gauge when he came back. Mayb 1lb at best repressured and poof he was covered . luckily i was out of room when the mess happened.
He paid closer attention to gauges and procedures after that

1 Like

Yep I definitely learned my lesson. I knew that would happen too, just got distracted and had to go inside, then when I came back out I forgot to release the pressure and just started to undo the clamp and then realized it was gonna blow so I was able to take a few steps back and cover my face but it covered everything. I vacuumed most of it up but I’m hoping a a wet cloth wipe then wiping down with 91iso will clean the rest of it up enough. As for what got in the dish, I’m hoping rerunning it thru a 1um sintered disk filter with some coffee filters above it and the oil above that will help filter out the powders that got into it.

That’s a great tip. We actually used to hand-tighten a backing nut on every single torqued nut. When disassembling the system we would remove the hand-tight nuts first. Every once in a while we would notice a nut that can’t be removed by hand easily because the torqued nut in front of it had would slip back, applying pressure against it. That meant stripped threads and time for a swap.

20 Likes

He was wearing a full face resperator so no injury. I used to laugh about the mask but it did save a face full of dust. The whole room was covered tho and him lol.

Remimds me of my 2nd crc run ever when I forgot to open the valve to collection and it set there forever like that clogged the filters w pure oil, I took it apart after thinking all the pressure was gone and right when I get it off and look over in the CRC poof!!! Got me right in the face , apparently the powders was holding some pressure down deep inside it still!

Scary! Glad you’re okay. Definelty something to keep in mind. Do you not have gauges on both ends of your crc?

Everything had no pressure it came off fine, only happen once I looked over into the powders…I compare it to the material saturated but the crc powders where idk… apparently that was the powders way of letting go of some buried liquid tane that started to evaporate. It got everywhere was a mess and thanks glad I still got eyes too

For anyone not rack mounted be careful about standing a 6" base up just anywhere bc they get top heavy fast, the right accident and u got a rocket

1 Like

Started doing that yrs ago when i saw 5 psi make a guys jaw hang off his face like some crazy predator movie

8 Likes

WTF oh my god and he made it? I hope he’s ok

3 Likes

Can you tell us more about how that happened???

Holy shit. Please tell me that person was well taken care of. Knowing your area if they were in good hands I’d assume it. I can only hope.

Yeah he survived, he was taking a 2” clamp off and let me add was in no way shape or form able or competent to run the machine and this was a week of trying to teach him to satisfy my partner since he didn’t believe me he was an idiot. So i tried to teach him things when it wasn’t running, venting the columns before swapping was first and last day of class for him. He didn’t vent it and once he took off 1 bolt with the other loosened it blew off and the side with the bolt still on it pimp slapped him. It was a crazy day, thought he was dead. Probably the worse ive seen, 2nd to that would have been seeing a guy do the same and catch the lid to the chin and bust out all his front teeth

8 Likes

I have so much respect for him and glad the situation has improved. Teeth definitely is a much longer lasting effect emotionally and physically (side opinion)

Haha nothing like diving in :sweat_smile: I keep mentally questioning myself nearby them even. Like " was this checked, it’s not my duty this run." But the mentality of always checking is now understood so much

2 Likes

Oh dont he never should have been anywhere near it for his own protection but sometimes people don’t like admitting or seeing there limitations. I would only try to teach him on dry runs when jot running for fear of what would happen. If i have to watch an employee to make sure there doing it right i have no need for them and ill just replace them or do it myself. He had never gone near a cls since, having your jaw wired shut for months probably put a bad taste in his mouth

6 Likes

If anyone didn’t Tapout after having a new face I’d be intimidated, helluva story.

He should have tapped out before the match started, it just wasn’t something that was in his skill set.

2 Likes

I have a real attention deficit but when it comes to these machines I have a built in (check everything again and again) mindset. Its definitely not entry level work.

2 Likes

Uh, shit so dangerous that happened because someone kinda knew what they were doing, but didn’t understand pressures of different shit, and tried to take a open-blasting tek (putting dry ice in the tube with the weed to make it a lot colder) and tried that with a Mk-3 terpinator that, unlike open blasting, didn’t have a place for the co2 pressure to go…
The pressure gauge rose instantly, and the persons ninja-like reflexes grabbed the whole thing, opened the ball valve, and prayed the mostly pressure outside(it was a half built house with all open windows)
That person finished the run and went and did some reading(this was before they found future )
So kids, don’t put dry ice in the tubes with the weed….it causes instant pressure spike

3 Likes