Cleaning ethanol after extraction and filtration

Good results for what?

Distillation will pull the ethanol out during your heads fraction. It’s generally the first thing distilled out during the process

1 Like

Etoh
Residual Water
Terpenes

This is how mine comes out

2 Likes

But also mentioned was the isomerization. I’ve read about that before as well. Switching to etho created a whole new avenue of
Learning for me, which is always welcome :slight_smile: sometimes a little overwhelming but i always come out on top, and more educated

Clear distillate with no opacity

I was talking about ethanol clarify not distillate clarity. The more color your ethanol is being left with after recondensation the lower proof or more degraded it is and therefore must be dealt with.

You just said you had to winterize to fix issues with distillate that had been run cryo?

Oh, ya cause “cryo” means a thousand different things to people without much extraction background or that are new to ethanol. So if it’s not done at around -55C or colder the ENTIRE time it’s touching any material it will pull fats and create cloudy disti. Even sometimes people who had been doing it at these temperatures were having issues with fats, not sure why as all the data says they ways they were extracting should have been sufficiently cold enough.

Guess I didn’t understand your question.

4 Likes

Yes litmus is good
Also before extracting anything check ph of fresh etho
Use this as a base line
The best way to keep water out is to have bone dry biomass
If so reproofing is barely necesary

3 Likes

Carbon cleans it right up.

This carbon works for me to get the stink out: Bulk Premium Activated Stone Carbon | Brewhaus

5 Likes

How many washes can the recovered ethanol be used?

Naturally, it’s a “it depends” sort of topic, so no clear in the posts. Without a recovery equipment and process, ethanol is evaped off into the atmosphere. Really hurts to see it go but still running very small batches so not clear at all whether to spend the money for the hardware (ethanol recovery and vacuum heat).

youll get about 90% back with a roto so just that itself pays for itself in 1-3 months depending on your capacity. You should be getting atleast 3 uses out of you ethanol before you have to remediate it.

but again cant rly give you any definite answers and dont hold me to this cause theres just SOOO many factors that effect how fast ethanol is diluted.

mainly how much water content is in your biomass. but then how you extract, how long you extract for, and on and on

2 Likes

I just proof it after each wash. Always seeks to be 190-195

5 washes, same etoh.

2 Likes

Thanks for the rule of thumb guideline. Provides something to plug into ROI calc.

Being a total dummy about chemistry, HS Chem was it for me, makes much of science pretty opaque.

“Assumed” a couple things.

1. assumed the condenser capturing the ethanol fraction left the water behind, just passing pure ethanol.
  2. assumed the THC in suspended solution would not influence the degree of distillation of the ethanol.

Probably going to continue doing QWET trials and experiments to better understand what it takes to maximize conversion with the fewest resources.
Thanks again.

Water is transferred when recovered hence how it looses proof as you go

that depends upon your evaporator… folks using a reflux still will not see this.

(not that it’s the right tool…)

How does the panda handle the cryo ethanol? Also, what manufacture made your SPD? Or where did you buy it?

I’ve put almost 100 gallons of cryo etoh thru w/o any issues.

Usalab mantle and glass

1 Like

are you using a bag to hold the material?

Yes

Damn 5 word limit

2 Likes