Chilling the internal coil on my Solvent Tank

It goes into the collection base first and then out to the top of the collection vessel. Then out at the bottom port on the collection vessel back to the heater.

Seems to work just fine.

We’re talking about the water lines to heat the collection pot, right?

1 Like

You guys are all talking about solvent and stuff and I’m here wondering why your vacuum hose to your cold trap is 5’ long! Shorten that fucker up! But you need the crude first to distill, so listen to these guys!
Beautiful build out Homie! You did an amazing job on that barn house lab!

There’s quite a few little things that you need to clean up, but it does look awesome!

5 Likes

Thanks. We had a lot of fun building out this lab. We started on March 13th, last year, with the teardown. We moved equipment in and started work June 18th. Being outside city authority, we didn’t have to wait for inspections or permitting.

That’s a temporary layout. I haven’t been messing with it much. I’d planned on building a hood for it in a few weeks and setting it up properly. I did this to distill some alcohol, while I wait to buy a rotovap. It’s always one more piece of equipment. And then one more.

2 Likes

Yeah it should go as I said. Hotter portion at the bottom.

I agree with everyone else. Your lab is gorgeous

4 Likes

Heard! LoL, it’s so hard to be critical through pictures

2 Likes

Every picture has something in it I’d like to change. It’s always a work I progress. That’s also why I ask so many goofy questions here. I’m always tinkering and fiddling with the lab. I’ll keep fixing it until I break something so I have something to fix.

2 Likes

Heard, lol. If it ain’t broke fix it anyway.

2 Likes

I switched it to flow bottom to top. I works much better. Thank you!!

6 Likes

Killer job it looks so clean!

2 Likes

Keeping it clean was my first thought. I’ve made a point of keeping everything off the floor. I wanted to be able to see the baseboards around the entire lab. Amazon prime day brought a shark robot vacuum down to affordable. Life just got a little easier, well, after set up and finding all the places where it’ll get stuck and …

I decided to spend time and money on a new lid with sight-glasses for my solvent tank, rather than trying to use the internal coil. I’d rather be able to see the level and condition of the solvent.

1 Like

I ran out of red food coloring😀

1 Like

If I have a jacketed solvent tank connected to my chiller but it also has a coil and dip tube, can I hook up the coil to the chiller lines as well to make the solvent tank colder and potentially increasing my passive recovery times?

Depends on how much chiller you have.

And how your jacket is set up (double vs single. Insulated tank or not)

Certainly more surface area on your heat exchanger is (usually) helpful.

I say usually because with an uninsulated tank, 1/2 that surface is cooling the room. If you’ve got enough chiller, then adding coils will help.

If you DONT have enough chiller, pulling a vac on the jacket (for insulation) and cooling with just the coils is often a win.

It’s a single jacketed tank which ices up and definitely chills the room as much as it does the tank, do you know of any insulated jackets I can purchase aftermarket to help manage that loss of cooling? Or would vacuuming the jacket and chilling the coils just be all around more effective in chilling the solvent and potentially reducing passive recovery time? There is a coil in the tank that’s not connected to the chiller atm. I appreciate your response and any information provided.

Is your coil sealed from atmosphere atm?

Yes, removing the snowball by pulling vac on the jacket is often a win.

How do you guys insulate your closed loops?

Try finding some of this on your own…

Yeah the coil is capped and sealed atm, I would vac it overnight jic to prevent any possible moisture.

1 Like

Thank you, appreciate the info!! :muscle:t2:

1 Like