Chilling bulk ETOH with LN2

I hear you. I’m 6’1", the boss is taller & bigger. I had a couple of much smaller minions for whom the hoist was a requirement. keg + alcohol never exceeds about 130lb.

engine hoist was not the right tool. but it did make the job safer. were it the right tool, I would have been more inclined to use it :wink:

I love the cold box instructions!

Has anyone figured a more automated method to maintain the LN2 at the right fill level?

Really I only use it chill down the material tube before running cold solvent from a jacketed tank.
After the inital cool down the -80c solvent maintains the temp.

I am looking to use the counter flow heat exchanger that was recommended earlier with LN2 to cool an initial volume of no more than 25 gallons to at least -50C in 55 gallon drum for bucket tek. How quickly does it evaporate from the open ended top over the course of the solvent cooling time period? What size heat exchange is the most appropriate and do you have any other thoughts?

Dis you ever get your system built?

You should use liquid Co2 from dewar and a brazed plate heat exchanger. Direct expansion evaporation using a needle valve into the brazed plate heat exchanger. Circulate your extraction solvent through the brazed plate continuously. This will chill down to -65f quickly and with less gas than ln2.

5 Likes

Really even though it’s not as cold? I was under the impression of getting something colder will do it faster. Do you do this yourself? If so what sizes and type heat exchanger should I get ?

Study specific heat. Just because something is colder doesn’t mean it has more energy.

3 Likes

What about dry ice build up in the brazen plate heat exchanger could that be a danger?

…and this boys and girls is why you should use H2O as your heat transfer fluid whenever possible.

Water at 4oC will do a better job of pulling the heat added by your recovery pumps than EtOH at -50oC

3 Likes

What would this setup look like?

To chill 100 gallons a day say 55-30 gallons at a time

sorry. that post is off topic. I’ve edited to make that more obvious.

folks are always bitching that their chiller can’t keep up with their pumps. the pumps heat up the solvent. using water to remove the bulk of that heat this more efficient, because water has a higher heat capacity.

1 Like

I understand so bigger the chiller the better maybe a tub and shell instead of a plate heat exchanger? I’m going to go with Lco2 or ln2 to cool. Just trying to figure out if I should use a brazed plate or a tube and shell. What do you think is best for the setup I’m wanting and what size?

I think the stock answer is “pool heat exchangers are cheap”. although I’m not sure who I’m quoting on that one. want to claim @future

https://www.amazon.com/Titanium-Shell-Exchanger-Ports-Saltwater/dp/B01MU5Z1JE

I’m rockn 100 gal w that?

in a day? hell yeah.
in an hr? conceptually.

but that’s not taking leidenfrost into account (or doing any math at all to be honest).

1 Like

I’m thinking my best bet I’m gonna have four insulated half gallon 55 drums I could get one of those units on each one of those

Do you think the plate heat exchanger is a better choice then a tube and shell?

For clean vapor condensing there is no better choice than a brazed plate. If you are boiling pure liquids then a brazed plate is a good choice.

Where a brazed plate fails is in boiling liquids with contaminates. If your boiling loaded solvents a brazed plate is a poor choice and a shell and tube or a tube in tube will be better suited.

1 Like