CBGA/CBDA stability in alcohol tincture?

Will CBGA & CBDA isolate decarb in an alcohol tincture? Would it be better to consume these acids without a carrier and swallow raw in a capsule? What’s the shelf life of these isolates kept in a cool, dry place? I’m using them for inflammation issues.

2 Likes

Should be stable no problem - but I asked my chemist about this and he said alcohol tinctures aren’t popular these days due to being too unpleasant to take.
Oil is fine to use instead.
Shelf life of dry isolate, or in oil or ethanol should be years AFAIK - the acid forms seem stable if kept cool.

Thanks for the info!

We sometimes add ethanol during the decarburization step of the crude hemp oil, which makes the initial stage of heating easier to stir and heat evenly to protect the active ingredients. However, in our experience, effective decarburization occurs when the solvent has essentially evaporated and the temperature begins to rise.

Therefore, it is difficult to decarbonize if the state of ethanol tincture is to be maintained.

The easiest place for organic acids to be absorbed by the body should be the stomach because of its polarity. If there is a solvent dissolved, it should theoretically be beneficial to absorption. But we do not know the specifics, please consult your doctor or drug supplier.

To offer an alternative answer, I have found that THCA will slowly decarboxylate in an ethanol solution at room temperature. Like 5% per week or so. I would have to imagine the same thing happens for CBDA and CBGA as well, though I don’t have the data to prove this.

2 Likes

I had the popped jars as proof it happens to cbda…. Took a couple months of non decarbed crude sitting in mason jars, but after a few months those jars all spontaneously decarbed. Talk about a mess!

3 Likes