CBD without hydrocarbons?

I extract with sonication. You have to have the right amount of solvent in your biomass for the sonotrodes to engage. It does help with reducing residency. One can sonicate too much and rupture plant cells and introduce more undesirables.
Main points:
Keep solvent cold as possible
Maintain correct amounts of solvent for equal sonication

2 Likes

im looking at this from a cost effective stand point. i dont see co2 or likely even sonication being viable with the cost of isolate being so low. im likely going to recommend sourcing isolate.

however, i think it would be great to produce a flavorful full spectrum hemp concentrate from their own buds. that seems to be a real white whale though (>0.3 thc)

i could create a beautiful concentrate with ethanol, and add sourced isolate to bring it in to compliance. that still seems a little hokey to me though. thoughts @cyclopath ?

If CBDA isolate can be crashed from CO2 (and other solvents) chances are that it can be achieved from ethanol too. Were I the betting type, or just determined to throw shit at the whale till something stuck, I’d keep cutting the crews liquor rations till they got it right (louchers!!).

Tell the boss you’re after a Bob Ross (happy little accident).

3 Likes

You need a motive force to push through “membranes”, a centrifuge is a great tool for filtering (through membranes) down to 1um, routinely used down to 0.2um, and works well down into the “hundreds of daltons” range on a small scale (see centricon filters).

Pumps work too, and somewhere between 100um and 100 daltons, there is probably a crossover between which is more energy efficient or cost effective. Not having played much with @MagisterChemist’s skid but once, I have no clue where that point really is. I suspect it depends on more that just particle size.

I’ve used spin Columns in the lab for molecular biology stuff. Not sure if there’s a scale size equivalent