CBD without hydrocarbons?

What state are you in?

Adsorbants are your friend here
Do they allow limonene?

1 Like

no hydrocarbons for any sort of cannabis. pretty lame if you ask me.

im not much of a loucher - but id like to be.
what is this exactly,
adding water to ethanol soln → becomes cloudy, → ??? → profit

once it becomes cloudy will it eventually separate?

Connecticut

yeah limonene is good to go, although i was thinking it might be hard to remove that orangey smell.

what would you recommend on adsorbents? passing ethanol solution through some clays to purify before crystallizing?

Yep. Turns out the universal solvent makes a decent anti-solvent too…

I’ve not personally tried spinning down louched cannabinoids in a centrifuge, but that’s were I’d start.

A centrifuge might also help with removing the terp layer (limonene) from your CBD. Aka YOC Dirty Diamond Tek - THCa isolation from Crude

4 Likes

hmm this presents an interesting set of potential experiments.

im actually more interested in producing a compliant flavorful concentrate from good hemp, but that seems to be difficult as wel

1 Like

I would definitely be looking into membrane filtration with @MagisterChemist X-Spiral skid

2 Likes

I’ve been looking into membranes for phase separating, I would think they’d use less energy than a centrifuge. Be interesting to do a side by side comparison with a centrifuge vs a membrane.

1 Like

What about CO2?

1 Like

how are you proposing using CO2 to make isolate? initial extraction, and then winterization with ethanol. then SFC?

1 Like

Yep, initial extraction with CO2. We have been able to crystalize our CO2 CBD crude to the point of 90%+ with just mechanical separation of “ml”.

Then I suppose SFC would push that % up if needed, never taken it that far though.

6 Likes

nice work!

centrifuging it looks like you could do better than 90% to me.

probably only the ML that would need chromatography. and then “need” is more about compliance, ie more compliant CBD, and perhaps other cannabinoids (and presumably terpenes by the look of that pour).

Co2 can be used to produce isolates, it’s rare to see being used at scale but it’s most definitely an option

In a manner that you wouldn’t consider chromatography?

Is that in a manner you are able/willing to share?

I’ve certainly seen THCA that was deliberately isolated in an Eden or Apeks machine once upon a time (someone bought the separator yo one of the first rec celebration events in WA).

The yields made it sound like a parlor trick, but that was long ago and there were dabs available (not if the THCA isolate :cry:). I know we’ve come along way since then, or even since the last time I looked at CO2 extraction options: Ennie meeny miny moe: CO2 or BHO?

Cbda isolate is being produced in volume via co2 extraction and it was apparently touted as an “accident” by the discoverer of the process-

I can imagine that someone with access to a versatile co2 rig and a stout mind will be able to recreate the accident,

I am on the trail now, but it may take some months to fully uncover-

Until then… keep a half a hairy eyeball and make sure to ask lots of questions to the cbda suppliers

You should give the Hielscher Ultra-sonic extractor a look. With the ultra sonic its even possible to dissolve the cannabinoids in water.
Altough if you will do it with Ethanol you will get a better extraction rate.

Check out their website, unfortunally its in German.

I extract with sonication. You have to have the right amount of solvent in your biomass for the sonotrodes to engage. It does help with reducing residency. One can sonicate too much and rupture plant cells and introduce more undesirables.
Main points:
Keep solvent cold as possible
Maintain correct amounts of solvent for equal sonication

2 Likes

im looking at this from a cost effective stand point. i dont see co2 or likely even sonication being viable with the cost of isolate being so low. im likely going to recommend sourcing isolate.

however, i think it would be great to produce a flavorful full spectrum hemp concentrate from their own buds. that seems to be a real white whale though (>0.3 thc)

i could create a beautiful concentrate with ethanol, and add sourced isolate to bring it in to compliance. that still seems a little hokey to me though. thoughts @cyclopath ?

If CBDA isolate can be crashed from CO2 (and other solvents) chances are that it can be achieved from ethanol too. Were I the betting type, or just determined to throw shit at the whale till something stuck, I’d keep cutting the crews liquor rations till they got it right (louchers!!).

Tell the boss you’re after a Bob Ross (happy little accident).

3 Likes