CBD/THC in MCT nano?

Hi guys,

I’m wondering about sonication and what the possibilities were with this. Currently I have a hielscher unit and experimenting with it/starting to make formulations.

Initially I got the unit for our CBD business as we wanted to create O/W nano products (tinctures, gummies). Since getting the unit I have been told by the supplier that oil in oil (CBD in MCT) nano emulsion is a thing. Where you can sonicate the CBD in MCT in order to make the particle sizes smaller and thus increase bioavailability hugely.

I have tried this with THC (RSO) oil in MCT to test the bioavailability and uptake time - I’ve found absolutely no difference (does not feel stronger as companies claim). So currently I’m a bit confused about this - I haven’t read much online about oil in oil nanos, but my supplier (they are a credited Hielscher partner so not dodgy) are telling me it is.

Does anyone have any insight into this?

1 Like

This can start your journey down the rabbit hole. Dont forget to bookmark!

2 Likes

Youre not making nano anytning with MCT and CBD. You need a shell made out of a lipid and surfactant to encapsulate the cbd. Sonicating mct and cbd isnt making the cbd molecule any smaller and its not doing anything to thr MCT

7 Likes

CBD in MCT is a solution. An emulsion requires immiscible constituents.

Your hammer vendor is hallucinating nails where none exist. Or knowingly blowing smoke up your arse.

You can probably wreck your MCT (turn triglycerides into free fatty acids) by screaming at it.

Which might be what’s going on here: MCT has HORRIBLE taste when sonicated

I suggest you politely ask them to back up their claims with peer reviewed literature….

4 Likes

Edit:
@NewLevelProcess already mentioned everything I said.
You need a surfactant in order to make a O/W nano emulsion. In some setups like spontaneous emulsification for example, the addition of MCT helps to reduce the droplet size.

1 Like

Thanks all so much for the input. You’ve basically just reinforced all the thoughts that were going through my head before. I think, from his end, it might be a bit of sales pitch or lack of knowledge with specifically the application of sonication within the context of CBD.
However I’m fairly confident I will be able to create a stable and safe to consume O/W nano-emulsion anyway so will likely be still buying the unit still.

Another note - big love to this community - I’ve been on here for years and gained a lot of knowledge, developed many products and it’s been an invaluable resource of information for me - so thank you for that <3

3 Likes