CBD isolate not crashing in pentane?

I read a article saying that cold to hot extreme temp changes at proper saturation levels will form crystals is this not true?

1 Like

try cutting your solvent amount in half. worst case scenario it locks up and you just have to add more cold pentane and break up the chunks. The more agitation the better, always. watch some crystallization videos on organic chem youtube pages.

@Lemonade_dave
Cold to hot = dissolution
Hot to cold= precipitation.

CBD is really easy to xtalize compared to the bulk of chem reXtal operations. just create the most favorable conditions and let it rock. If you wanna skip the googling and trial and error (which i absolutely recommend either way) shoot me a DM and we can break it down. But a few hours down a youtube and google wormhole stating with any of the terms ive used will benefit you greatly

8 Likes

I’d recommend a much more concentrate solution, like a 1:1 by volume or maybe a 1:1.5

The higher the non polar ratio, the purer the crystals will be, because the entire solution is more dilute, the impurities that get trapped in the crystals will be more dilute as well. But it needs to be concentrate enough that you start the crystallization process.

For first precipitation, slow cooling isn’t absolutely necessary, I have had success with letting the mixture return to RT (room temperature) and going straight into a normal freezer and letting it sit for 48 hours ideally.

Slow cooling is the way to go, but only if you are trying to build structured crystals, which honestly look fucking pretty, but are less pure as the crystals have more solvent inclusions.

4 Likes

Thanks for all the help, I’m going to add more distillate to bring it from 4:1 pentane:distillate ratio to a 2:1 ratio and try again. If that doesn’t work I’ll try to seed.

And if that doesn’t work I’ll bring it to 1:1 ratio.

3 Likes

Here’s a update on my second isolation attempt

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxLnOU3gYwH/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=11jy6vdqcegbn

4 Likes

You don’t have issues with too rapid a crystallization when assisting cold?

only if your morphology control isnt optimal

Do you have any nice studies on this that have decent crossover?

If you’re near Portland I could swing by and give you a hand. Looks like it’s almost there.

2 Likes