Career in Cannabis

Still lots of 11-1400 stuff around but unless you have had the same buyers forever nobody is going to pay that when they can get similar for a grande. At the moment anyways

I talked about the two markets coz it was in your comment. My comment is about the black market prices, here, IN THE EAST, (I live in Montreal): trips go from 1000 to 1200/1300, 1400-1500 if you have some fire (what they call AAAA), you can have some mids at 800-900, but the price for a pound of “good weed” is 1000-1100 for the past 2 years. I am not talking about unsmokable garbage tho. You live in BC, right? Just do a quick google search, people are still paying 200+ per oz for what they call “quads”, some grower sell their weed for more than 2000$ a pound on a regular basis. Everything those mom’s (black market online in case you don’t know, but I sure you know what I am talking about), sells is “bof” to me. Even if you ship to the the east, you will need fire weed to get more than what the local growers charges per pound. The ACMPR licences are the only reason why the weed is so low, supply and demand, everyone can grow without the fear of getting cut like back then. People are growing 100 lights medical and push that weed in the street. That is why the weed is so cheap. That as nothing to do with legalization at all. 10 years ago, BC Bud was the best, but these days, I am not impressed at all with the weed that came from BC. You see all the garbage that is sold on the internet? If they shut down the ACMPR/MMPR program, weed will go up right away. As for the pine resin and CRC, I agree with you, I am the one that started the post about pine resin in Canada on here.

Ah yes, good work on the pine resin thread it was interesting. Crazy how much of it is going around. Those are accurate prices for sure for the Mom’s online. But there are 700-1000 lbs on the streets everywhere here right now, dont have to believe me that’s fine. The home grow medical licenses deff dropped the market. I still find bc bud the best out of everything I see when traveling but the online guys just buy the cheapest they can get away with. The black market is still huge here it’s just suffered alot. The green here has to be good out of necessity, or you will never sell it even next to free. It’s just what I am experiencing.

You could always jump onto a gramming table or trim table. The work is mind numbing, and the pay is mid teens. Some places even offer benefits. But there are plenty of opportunities, and you will start meeting people who know people in the industry.

Plus you will hear things said at these tables unlike anywhere else you have worked.

You have to realize that it is just a starting point, and that you are competing against a saturated worker pool. With all of these industry wide lay offs, there are a lot of people with industry experience looking for work. You will get experience and perspective, but mostly you will see how this industry actually operates. Which I would say is “unique”.

5 Likes

Everybody should have to suffer the rite of passage of being stuck trimming while listening to Joe Rogan for hours on end. If that doesn’t kill it for you then you should be good :wink:

14 Likes

You just brought back so many bad memories… Hahaha

5 Likes

I am located in Michigan. Finding a job for a reputable company is a joke. Interview places and then they recognize they don’t need people; aren’t doing the business they expected or getting dirty biomass they can’t process. It’s ALL about who you know. I’ve been educated at a university with experience in separation chemistry as well as some botanical studies. I have also been a caregiver and do some extraction here and there. I am fluent in cannabis and have been refined at university. I’ve been told I’ll get a call back at this time and nothing. Worked at a company in Lansing, wanting to be the biggest (they literally all say that) worked a couple months on their night shift and then let us all go when the materials got processed and packed. The cannabis industry is lacking a professionalism other industry have had the time to secure. I love cannabis and love the idea of a career in cannabis, I am still dumbfounded by the lack of professionalism. There are facilities out there looking to partner up with universities, specifically Lake Superior State University and their cannabis excellence center but that much like the industry in Michigan is still in its infancy and it is obvious.

I know there are professionally stoned professionals in this industry, I am just not seeing it in the regulated facilities market.

3 Likes

I never say I do not beleive you. For 700 you have unsmokeable garbage here. I pound of good weed is going for 1000-1200, if you can do 2 pouds per light, you still making good money. That was more my point.

1 Like

Finding a reputable company in general in this industry is kind of a joke fyi…
Everybody is professionally stoned. FEW are professionally stoned professionals.

I had a decent job in a packaging department, I also have university chemistry experience. I learned a lot and got my foot in the door, but didn’t want to stay at that particular company any longer.

I decided to move onto a different company so that I could gain experience.

I was offered a job and even signed a paper saying I was hired. They were begging me to come in right away, but I said I would respect my current company, submit my two weeks, and honor them.

The DAY after I submitted my two weeks, I received a call from my new employer saying that the position no longer existed. So i was out of a job with nowhere to go.

The industry is tough.

4 Likes

Oof I felt that one, our trim/joint room loves their Rogan podcasts lol.

1 Like

Yeah, in my experience there has also been a fair bit of mumble rap peppered in there for extra insanity inducing properties.

2 Likes

Yeah, just dealing with putting product to metric is proving to be unprofessional…
example: I had two lbs of flower fail for coliforms. I have been told twice over three weeks that they were looking into remediation for it… This is just a snipit of the story… They also used a differant lab then what was agreed upon checking in the material… many many issues with the situation…
I have had the same issues with finding a respectable lab to work in…

In conclusion, the industry is a joke, it’s tough, and there is a huge huge lack of professionalism. There are tons of people in the recreational market who should not be calling shots. Learn to run a setup yourself whether it be growing a few plants or something else. Get some experience under your belt first, do some networking, but choose wisely who you do business with. 85% of these professional stoners are all-talk.

3 Likes

This is what happens when you take a craft and hand it to the community. Money prevails and people are left with hopeless dreams thinking they can make it big. The actions and attitude have zero to do with cannabis and all to do with making lots of money. There lies the problem with much in life today. We do things so we can make money. That leaves people blind to the fact. That basically will erase all the passion and hard work that has gone into an industry and bury the original quality deep undergound. This happened to sports, this happened to beanie babies, this happened to being a nerd, beards and life in general. If you want to be satisfied with something these days go as far away as you can from a human being, Trust me you will be happier than you ever been. If atleast for a moment.

5 Likes

Ya I hear you. Its deff better in the 1000-1200 range.

thanks for the laugh dude :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
ca fait longtemps j’avais entendu ca !

Hi Kenny. I am a recruiter with Vangst. We are a top tier cannabis recruiting company. Please check out the Vangst website or feel free to email your resume to me directly at sara.curtis@vangst.com!