Carboxylation - Adding the "a" back to THC

Having a little trouble understanding, they only got an 18% yield CBD → CBDa and only recovered 3% of the input CBD? I must be reading it wrong

I get the feeling its a small part of a total synthesis paper and has probably got rushed out
to get a few students on the title so they keep excepting lollys.

the real goods are probably in the profs hand worked total synth paper.

ill check and see but thats a guess without looking.

1 Like

na that looks right

In a typical experiment cannabidiol (IIb)’ (314 mg.,
1 mmole) was heated at 120’ for 3 hr. with a 2~-solution
(1.5 ml) of MMC in dimethylformamide. After acidification
with dilute HC1, followed by ether extraction and purification
by preparative t.l.c., cannabidiolic acid (IIa) (300 mg.)
and cannabidiol (IIb) (8 mg.) were obtained.

though there is some loss there somewhere as CBDa is heavier than CBD.

8mg / 314mg is 0.025~ or 2.5%

1 Like

I recall Elliot had a tech on his site that used high ass pH to make cannabinoids migrate to aqueous later, and left cbd etc in organic phase
Then used hcl or h2so4 To reacidify it

And it precipitated maybe as when it’s acidic it ain’t water soluble

This one using DCM?:

2 Likes

Not sure I do remember it was a/b and it may have been in scam but I thought halogenated hydrocarbons were a Nono

1 Like

Depends on how confident you are that you can get rid of them all I guess

1 Like

C−H Carboxylation of Aromatic Compounds through CO2 Fixation

Regioselective Enzymatic Carboxylation of Phenols and Hydroxystyrene Derivatives

Regioselective Enzymatic Carboxylation.pdf (311.5 KB)

THE KOLBE-SCHMITT REACTION

THE KOLBE-SCHMITT REACTION.pdf (1.9 MB)

1 Like

I think my first attempt will be with sodium ethyl carbonate in a steel threaded container/ pipe bomb

add some dry ice or butane so you get the 10 atm seal then heat too 185C for 7 hours.

if the results in the tables in the paper are anything to go by it should yield about 70%

we make the sodium ethyl carbonate from sodium ethoxide and then gassing it in a soda stream :slight_smile:

sodium ethoxide can be made from sodium hydroxide and ethanol.

1 Like

Way to hot < 75 C is tops

2 Likes

thanx I am only going on whats in the paper at the moment and have not tried it.

they do the reaction in the microwave as well but the yields go down quite a lot.

will this reaction even happen at 75C ?

1 Like

The chemistry of resorcinol carboxylation and its possible application to the CO2 removal from exhaust gases

Carboxylation of Phenols with CO2 Atmospheric Pressure.pdf (471.3 KB)

I think this is the paper that the gentleman above who sugested a test with bicarbonate and thc
was talking about.

Pressurized CO2 as a carboxylating agent for thebiocatalyticortho-carboxylation of resorcinol
Pressurized CO2as a carboxylating agent for thebiocatalyticortho-carboxylation of resorcinol.pdf (1.5 MB)

or it could be this paper he was on about.

The Carboxylation of Resorcinol and the Separation of beta and y-Resorcylic Acid by Ion-exchange Chromatography

The Carboxylation of Resorcinol and the Separation of beta and y-Resorcylic Acid by Ion-exchange Chromatography.pdf (792.9 KB)

I have a funny feeling that it will not work as it is above the decarb temp of THCa and is not
under CO2 pressure which I think turns the equalibrium in favor of carboxylation.

youtube of reaction with bicarb

so if we have a look at the first paper in this post the one titled blah blah CO2 removal of exhaust blah
blah

they get a doubling of yeild just by adding a carbon dioxide atmosphere.
I would put this down to the competing reaction of heat caused decarboxylation and
the carboxylation of the phenol with the bicarb.

though untested yet I would at a guess say that this would also be the case with THC
though the temperature of decarboxylation is lower than resorcylic acid.

hence the idea of using dry ice in a pipe bomb to increase pressure and push the reaction to the
right.

Another interesting paper
Kolbe–Schmitt type reaction under ambientconditions mediated by an organic base
Kolbe–Schmitt type reaction under ambientconditions mediated by an organic base.pdf (1.4 MB)

this one is done at 30C and has reference to THCa though not directly they are hinting at its
usability for it I think.

they are getting quantative yeilds from an organic base guanadine with the resorcinol
in acetonitrile under 200 ATM of CO2

3 Likes

There are two other whom have this sent to them as I’m having it “dummy proofed” essentially. But for now here’s a rough write up that’ll point y’all in the direction you’re headed to. I’ve done this on small scale, it works, but only changed solvent from etho - heptane, better choice of the two for it. ( the e6ho was a mishap but showed me r&d on the concept of this procedure. I’m Workin on making this easy to understand & make some more sense of some of the steps but like I said here it is for now as a draft. This is able to work d9 as well. If any questions feel free

7 Likes

it looks like a great process but it will not work for delta 9.

the acidic conditions will convert the delta 9 to delta 8 hence other methods

being of interest to me.

2 Likes

Didn’t get to play the d9 part of it yet just d8 & cbd so far, but figured it would work same for d9 if done properly no?

look at the time and temp and the acid in it.

I would think it would convert.

every 20 degrees C is about a double in reaction time or a halving.

I am getting about 45% delta 8 from minute amounts of HCl in alcohol after 2 hours.

we need to go neutral or if we are luck maybe basic at room temp.

THC reacts with bases too hence the wish to try the sodium ethyl carbonate first.

I just purchased more for the optical rotation and a few odds and ends so it will
be a few weeks before I get the stuff to try it.

I need a ball valve to go on the end of my threaded tube as I need to be able to release
pressure from the CO2 after reaction and they can be a little dear.

gives me time to look at this deeper and get a better understand anyway.

2 Likes

May be better to perform at room temp-cold that was the parameter I had when testing with d8 so for d9 I do agree there is possible oxidation factor if the acidic solution were to be at that temp.

But as for the acidic saturated solution & d9 crashing goes thca it makes for a much easier atmosphere to crash in ive found when making diamonds, they crash way faster but not as clear.

im not sure I I understand

you had a procedure that stated to use room temp ?

I just go shown this by rogue and he is saying 75C.

when doing workups I doubt the acid and bases we use will hurt delta 9 but when cooking it
I am sure it will.

having it in acid at room temp for a long period of time I am not sure about.

have you tried the product from the reaction.

is THCa delta 8 as good ?

I would like to be able to make the product of commerce that is being sold as THCa if possible.

from what I have read there are processors in california that can not get enough of it.

1 Like