Cannabis extraction research

Sounds like you’re better equipped for that task. Would something like that be possible? If it made chillers or heaters obsolete, I think that would be a great contribution to making cannabis more eco-friendly.

I’ve never had a place to play. Every job I’ve had in a licensed lab has been dead set against R&D and generally contemptuous of science. One of the reasons I left the cannabis industry.

4 Likes

Theoretically though. How would it work, what would the catalyst and setup look like?

Solid state catalyst submerged in crude with wires attached and a rheostat to control current?

1 Like

Pretty much that exactly. If you find the right catalyst/coating it may not require current.

ETA: I envisioned a thin flow cell cell where the crude passes over the catalyst surface as you’d be able to use smaller catalyst and not to worry about diffusion through the bulk of the solution. Heated only enough to reduce viscosity and maximize diffusion both of the crude to the catalyst as well as the generated CO2 away from it.

5 Likes

I was terrible at math in highschool as well, but I didn’t give a damn and never studied or did homework. When I got older and went to a community college I had a 4.0 the whole time because I took something that was interesting to me and saw how it applied to real life, math included. I also studied a lot and did all my homework though.

2 Likes

This sound good, am going to do some readingn about it see if i can come up with a concept.

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acscatal.1c03869

Yes you can say that, i used to think along the same but i latter found that you will just remain at the same place in life. in everything that you do, you should show yourself approved, that is study.

I have have been working for a very longtime in the Chemical manufacturing, Iron and Steel Industry, Research instutions etc, and i was using a Chimical Diploma that i acquired just after my high school. For all these years i remained at the same level, moving from one company to the next at the same level, training those with Degrees and later they were my Supervisors. So you need to study to show yourself approved.

Am now a bit old, no longer interested in moving companies. Am now just trying finding something that will keep me busy after my retirement and the cannabis industry is proving to be the one i should concentrate on. Am thinking of owning my own extraction lab, at my own farm, growing cannabis at the same farm and processing it. This is a long term plan though.
I live in Africa and currently the cannabis industry is in its infancy stage so am planning to take it as my retirement plan.

2 Likes

Thank you EveettMarm, this is going to be my starting point.

1 Like

@terplord420 Never stop learning and don’t take for granted everthing that you have acquired so far. What you have acquired so far is very precious and you should guard it jelously. Its just a matter of time, it will only take one day to change the status core. Keep on watering it and one day it will change your life.

Don’t loose hope.

2 Likes

@Lincoln20XX Yes am trying to find a new topic. Had already submitted and defended my concept on Design and Fabrication of a Biomimmetic sensor for the detection of Glyphosate, so am thinking of dropping this and find something related to Cannabis.

Someone has suggested i go the Decarboxylation of cannabinoids by catalysis. Seems interesting to me.

2 Likes

The other idea I had for cannabis, since my work was in sensor design/fabrication, was to design and incorporate sensors for the main nutrients (N, P, K) into a hydroponic system so you can individually monitor their activity and replenish them as they are taken out of the reservoir feed. You could decrease costs and maximize yields through crop steering nutrients.

1 Like

Catalytic decarb is interesting and would be quite useful. There are a number of posts here on the topic.

We never got around to determining the reaction rate but even at low-ish temperatures the effect was very noticeable and worth utilizing of for us.

A catalyst that works in aqueous environments could be quite interesting.

1 Like

Have fallen in love with catalytic decarb, will be persueing this soon. Have decided to complete what i have started first, have already done most of the lab work, left with putting down what i have done together, write at least two journals on the topic , and will then embark on catalytic decarb of carboxylic acids.

3 Likes

if the chemistry works right, and you can actually decarb at sub 80 C without causing condensation reactions between the terpenes, the implications for HTE decarb are immense. No more centrifuging to decarb to recombine for carts.

7 Likes

We saw very measureable effects at 50°C and even below.

It overall rather slow given our batch size and application, but I imagine a more concentrated environment and slightly higher temperatures could yield very acceptable results in that application.

1 Like

@Lincoln20XX It seems you already have a lot of information on this, we can start working together on this, share some literature

When you buckle down to focus on it ping me. I can’t guarantee that I’ll be of any help as I’m just a jarhead mechanical engineer who throws pumps and thermal control units at things until they work, but I might be able to point you towards some smart individuals whose shoulders I’ve stood on.

4 Likes