Cannabis derived terpenes vs non-cannabis derived terpenes

Where do I buy them ?

Terpenes cali ur site don’t work !!!

1 Like

Hemp derived and canna derived terpenes = REAL terpenes that will get you TRUE effects and flavor

Synthetic/food grade = flavor and nothing else

Botanical = flavor and nothing else

1 Like

It’s not really that simple at all. If you want effects, use HTFSE or work some live resin into your distillate. I think if people want strain-specific effects in their cartridges they need to just accept they can’t exclusively use distillate.

5 Likes

I realize that yes but for basic understanding this is where to start. HTFSE are the best yes but SO pricey to an average consumer and hard to obtain. My point is natural > manmade.

2 Likes

HTFSE is cheap comparative to fully refined cannabis terpenes and anyone running butane can make it if they have access to decent material. If by “hard to get” you mean “can’t order it with a credit card” then I guess so. If we’re talking strictly the best way to do something, then HTFSE or even some properly decarbed live resin will always be better.

Going the cheap route and just doing distillate plus terps is never going to yield the real effects of a strain, regardless of where the terpenes came from. So to say that just opting for hemp or cannabis derived terpenes makes a distillate cart have unique effects is highly exaggerated. I think adding cannabis terpenes to distillate is like putting a spoiler on a Toyota Camry. The cannabis terpenes play a role but without the other parts it’s still just going to be a distillate cart that just tastes slightly more like cannabis.

There are hemp derived live resins/BHO on here that do an excellent job at filling in the gaps, so to speak. They contain a lot of the pieces of the puzzle that are lost during distillation of cannabinoids but are too heavy to exist in steam distilled terpenes. Distillate + BHO + 3-5% cannabis terpenes is going to cover all the bases.

7 Likes

Id say more like putting a turbo booster on a an electric motorcycle… Add those terps to some gently decarbed live resin…and thats a good combo. Add some thca to that *gently decarbed. Max upgrade.

I send out a bunch of our shake/trim and B-buds to have processed into diamonds. I got back absolute fire and lots of it. They separated a lot of sauce into jars with the idea I’d use it in carts and to make packaging the diamonds easier. Now I have about 5 quarts of sauce to add to the distillate.

What should I be looking for in making test blends. A link to another thread or a small spoon full of knowledge would be appreciated.

I’m sorry I missed your messag My name is Rich. Contact me for a few free samples. Rich@goldcoastterpenes.com

Run it through a centrifuge filter, the stuff in the bottom tube gets dabbed.

Tare your dab tool and scoop out a .05 dab

Dab

The dab should be overwhelming and almost chemical in taste.

Now get isolate (thc or cbd, doesnt matter) and try 1:1 hte:iso

If it is still too intense, you start mixing ~10% more isolate and less hte

If it is missing flavor, you start mixing ~10% more hte and less isolate

Rinse and repeat until you have your perfect blend

You will need to cold start your dabs, to mimic how the coil heats, so a waxpen is perfect (cheap ceramic elements match pens the best!)

2 Likes

@slant.i @drjackhughes @TheLostBiologist @Rowan @peasandlovage @zanog @CertifiedCBD

NOT AND AD

Yes, we sell botanical terps, but we love canna and hemp derived too… we just can’t rely on those to pass compliance testing all of the time or consistently batch to batch. Three different OG kush strains from 3 different growers that all smell pretty similar will still have wildly different terp profiles at the molecular level, so you really can’t rely on the plant for consistency either.

Also, if you poll your customers you will find that many folks need a discreet option for vape that wont stink up the area, and even the heady consumers who like weed flavors still like to have yummy flavoring options that can provide that discretion for travel, etc, and not leave a harsh or filmy taste in their mouth.

Getting the right flavors is the key though, shallow flavors can really turn people off to the subject as a whole when they are expecting the same quality and flavor of a canna derived terp.

Like @ExTek90 said, most terp companies are getting away with a “close enough” approach using about 5 or maybe even a dozen isolated terpenes to flavor strain profiles and just giving the rest of us a bad name (we are using over 40 isolates for strain blends and access to over 3000 individual isolates).

We are not only flavor experts but we are taking the strain profiles a lot more seriously than most companies too, I think you should give them both a try to see the difference.

The most obvious difference to me is that our parent company has been supplying the food and beverage industry with flavors and essential oils for over 100 years. Now we have brought those flavors over to the cannabis world, not tried to match them with our best guessing. One of the first customers was Wrigley gum and we sourced their Spearmint for them.

So if you truly want a “fruit punch” flavor that tastes exactly like the Capri Sun version and not a random bunch of candy flavors… I have that real flavor for you.

Bomb Pop popsicles… you wont believe me until you smell this one yourself, so many memories in a little sample bottle!

The andes style mint and chocolate flavor as well as the Bavarian Custard are so accurate that you will have to stop yourself from slathering them on a donut before you can get them into your products.

We are truly sourcing the natural components from all around the world and using flavor scientists to produce strain blends and flavors with these terpenes that also contain natural aromatic materials such as esters, aldehydes and ketones, in addition to the terpenes, to get a much richer and more elite experience. All tested for compliance in a GMP certified facility. Can cannabis and hemp growers guarantee that kind of crop consistency and QC batch to batch?

The service is going to be the next most important factor because we are all starting to find that our distillate and BHO is all compliant and pesticide free, ready for the market, and then a lot of these canna terp and flavor add-back companies have banned molecules or unknown volatiles inside, or no COAs or SDS sheets at all to speak of. They won’t be allowed into a reputable lab when the world switches to “fully legal” and starts demanding compliance testing from every processor.

We can batch test to produce CoAs on custom blends to match your own strains you are growing. We can custom blend and private label for consistent results that aren’t relying on a good crop harvest.

Many pharmaceutical companies buy these isolates from us for FDA and DEA approved medicines… so I think that is a good starting point for building trust in us for the canna markets, even if you are still offering canna derived terp products also.

Oh, and yes, if you need to place an order through me for flavors or blends you already know you need, please always include a list of some samples you want to try too and I’ll definitely get them added to the order!

1 Like

When you stop using cannabis chemovar names, I’ll get off your case. Cannabis essential oils are like wine with all its seasonal, terroir, and producer know how.

Cannabis isn’t lollipops, so get over your quest for consistency. Raw Garden has ruled the game with its cannabis derived only products. There is drift in their chemical profiles but their BRAND promises a good experience every time,

I’m over pipette jockeys. If the customers knew how much you lie, they’d think twice.

Cannabis is forever

7 Likes

“NOT AN AD”
Proceeds to hype product/brand then closes with a way to purchase the product.

Whatever at least you mentioned what your company does different than some competitors, that’s sorta cool…lol…

2 Likes

Just to clarify, I no longer use botanical terpenes. Cannabis derived forever and ever.

2 Likes

The synthetic terpenes I have smelled had nothing to do with a good bud, they smelled like cologne, I wonder if adding natural terpenes to a bad bud will lead to an indistinguishable smell from a top flower. I can tell you that adding artificial blends just will cover it with a cologne smell that nothing resembles the warm organic and the very special smell of cannabis. Maybe it is that I just got bad artificial blends.

1 Like

I can’t find a good ratio of doesn’t burn my nose and actually has a taste I can enjoy :confused:

• with any terpenes especially CDT

I am not a chemist, this is why I ask this question: how is safe to smoke terpenes that dissolve plastic in that way, they look very corrosive to some substances… like solvents, they sent me pure terpenes (synthetic) and they very much smell and act as solvents. I have made a mix of them and not at all two drops per gram makes it overwhelming as some people say, you need much much more.
The smell doesn’t resemble at all putting your nose into a bag of flowers either. (I have mix 9 of them)

I have heard that monoterpenes boost smell while sesquiterpenes improve flavor, is this a true statement?

1 Like

New profiles avail on-site, the finest CDT around…….

1 Like

IF, and this is a big IF…

IF two batches of isolated Humulene for example, are processed in completely brand new equipment, and BOTH test at 99.5% purity, a discerning nose or pallete can easily detect the differences, between the Humulene derived botanically from hops, and the Humulene derived from cannabis.

The reason is because that extra 0.5% from cannabis will contain a mixture of other terps which are from cannabis, and Vice versa for the hops batch.

It will be easy to tell, when both are isolated.

It will be harder to tell, once each is used as part of a larger mix.

BUT,

If both batches test at 99.999% purity, regardless of its botanical or hemp/cannabis origin, it will be very very difficult to tell the difference in each isolate, and virtually impossible once it’s part of a full strain profile of over 50 different terps and flavonoids.

Another BUT:

If the particular terpene in question isn’t Humulene or some other neutral smelling terp, but, let’s say, GERANIOL…. And if it is extracted botanically from a very fragrant flower, like roses or geraniums, that extra 0.5% of terps native to roses or geraniums really can give a “perfumery” nuance to anything it’s used in.

But again, if that Geraniol isn’t 99.5% purity, but 99.999% pure, it being botanically derived from roses won’t be something detectable, even in isolation.

That’s essentially the crux of the argument regarding botanical vs cannabis or hemp derived. It’s all about the purity of the isolate, and it’s botanical or cannabis origin, and what other compounds native to its origin plant come along for the ride.

And I really think the lay public is going to have to be sent to terpene re-education camps on YouTube, to teach them this very simple lesson in cost/benefit of their end products.