Cadmium chemical pneumonitis causing VAPI?

Not all pods are made alike, that’s for sure.

2 Likes

Here’s an update from Colorado Green Labs:

Reading the comments in the blog post, it seems some people (not Future4200 members) are confused that the hypothesis is about Cd from solder, but not about toxins from the vape liquid.

Part 2 of the blog will out tomorrow, the “Vape Pen Vivisection”

Cynthia Blair

To clear up some confusion: We don’t think the problem is the cart itself or the initial liquid in the cart. We believe the vapor is becoming contaminated between the cart and the user.

Part 2 of the VAPI series should be coming out tomorrow. It discusses where the contaminates could be coming from in more depth. Not all vaping devices are problematic. The mounting evidence points to the solder or the battery compartment in the least expensive auto pens.

Oliversarmy I feel I am in the same boat as you…I bought a cheap pen on amazon and have pretty much the same symptoms as you. Started last week after Vaping. I have metallic taste with frothy phlegm with chest pain almost like heartburn. Also have the GI issues. Definitely concerned about the study. Please let me know how your doctor appointment goes.

Can you link to the specific product you bought?

It will not let me post a link but it is called VEO Variable Push button battery 360 MAH looks
like they stopped selling it on amazon but it’s on their website

Hey JM, on reflection I think this was all in my head. never underestimate that. I was in a low grade panic for almost a week, and that took its toll. I feel much better.

obviously this study scared me, but the people who have this illness are sick sick sick with coughing and severe flu like symptoms.
Have a few drinks, take a walk and then see how you feel.

1 Like

also did your vape pen cost $20, cause that’s what I see on on the website. is that even cheap? mine cost $10. As Magister said, if this was the cause why are we just seeing the symptoms now?

forgot to mention, Smoking weed (flower) helped settle me down too

Awesome man thanks really appreciate the response!

Colbalt has been found to cause lung damage from vaping:

Imaging Findings of Vaping-Associated Lung Injury.pdf (4.3 MB)

Colbalt%20induced%20Giant%20Cell%20Interstitial%20Pneumonia%20from%20vape%20pen

A preview of part two: Vape Pen Vivisection has been posted.

5 Likes

A good comment was posted on the blog, may be worth re-posting here:

In discussing the VAPI outbreak, the press has focused on the vaping liquids rather than the devices and the vaping styles. The market is very complication, see [1]. Folks discussing the hypothesis that cadmium might be reaching the lungs have argued that the boiling point of cadmium is too high. However, substances do not have to be in the vapor phase to reach the lungs via an aerosol. Also, temperatures can be much higher than the boiling point of VG or PG [2], especially for “dry puffs”.

References:

[1]: Four hundred and sixty brands of e-cigarettes and counting: implications for product regulation; https://tobaccocontrol.bmj.com/content/23/suppl_3/iii3.full

[2]: Measurement of heating coil temperature for e-cigarettes with a “top-coil” clearomizer; Measurement of heating coil temperature for e-cigarettes with a “top-coil” clearomizer

I gave someone a battery and they left the one the were using. It the auto fire style they are talking about. When you look into the orifice that comes from the battery you can see some sort of material in there. Wonder if there is a place that is accepting the batteries to test them.

7 Likes

Not possible the cadmium could leach into the oil via terpene cut and deposit itself in the lungs/esophagus ?

1 Like

Cadmium has been known to exist in the aerosol from vaporizers for years. So wherever it’s coming from in the cartridge or battery, it’s in there.

I’ll try to find it but I found some dating all the way back to edit: 2009. These studies were on e-cigarettes but the point is more that these metals can still end up in the aerosol. Judging by the theory OP linked, the recent push for cheaper and cheaper hardware/materials might be why this is coming up in cannabis oils more recently and especially problematic for people who use both types of vapes.

6 Likes

Super relevant! :ok_hand::raised_hands:

1 Like

From the blog:

http://www.coloradogreenlab.com/blog/vape-pen-vivisection-preview

In discussing the VAPI outbreak, the press has focused on the vaping liquids rather than the devices and the vaping styles. The market is very complication, see [1]. Folks discussing the hypothesis that cadmium might be reaching the lungs have argued that the boiling point of cadmium is too high. However, substances do not have to be in the vapor phase to reach the lungs via an aerosol. Also, temperatures can be much higher than the boiling point of VG or PG [2], especially for “dry puffs”.

References:

[1]: Four hundred and sixty brands of e-cigarettes and counting: implications for product regulation; https://tobaccocontrol.bmj.com/content/23/suppl_3/iii3.full

[2]: Measurement of heating coil temperature for e-cigarettes with a “top-coil” clearomizer; Measurement of heating coil temperature for e-cigarettes with a “top-coil” clearomizer

3 Likes

Perhaps this is why it’s not an issue as much in Canada or the UK, the lower temperatures mean lower chances of distillate carts leaking

this is an interesting theory. Maybe we didn’t see much of this in nicotine vapers because the majority nowdays are using subohm or pod style devices

i switched from the traditional 510 carts to the pod system recently too. While its about double the price on the hardware, ive had no failures, and i like the way it feels. Been really digging most of the sample pods systems from Ikrusher and @oilcityextracts

2 Likes

im a heavy nicotine vaper and have been on subohm RDA’s for years now. I make my own coils with US SS wire and only use authentic 18650’s. Make my own juice and my health is completely fine. I never got into the vape scene for cannabis though. I’ve hit a few disty pens that just seemed weird so I never got into them. Glad I didn’t though with all this that’s going around.

3 Likes