BVV Sight Glasses Cracked

Did you ever contact BVV about them? Seems super shitty they are using it for their $2000 + extractors. Glad to hear you’ve had good luck with the borosillicate. $150 is still highway robbery but I’m sure they’ll last forever.

God it’s been an expensive week…

2 Likes

I’d imagine I know I’m getting real “metaglass”
From China cause I’m buying from the exact same supplier Best Value vacs is getting their sight glasses from. :shushing_face:

9 Likes

Well that would do it… what do they charge you - or do I want to know after paying $150 for these borosillicates…

1 Like

You don’t want to know. If it wasn’t Chinese New Year. I’d get you a set sent probably just for shipping.

That’s how expensive the real cost is. That I’d be willing to send them for free. Lol

5 Likes

Yeah, there are lots of plastics that don’t play well with Acetone. Was going to suggest that was your problem when I read the first post.

I assume you found something similar to Cole Palmer’s Chemical Compatibility database…but I’ll link it here for those reading along :wink:

I also think two bolt (aka “high pressure”) clamps distribute the pressure more evenly, and would suggest using those on your new glass ones.

4 Likes

And this is kinda what I was alluding to with the actual cost for a company like best value vacs.

Depending on the diameter of the glass.

Polycarbonate can be like $3-5 per glass
Borosilicate can cost like 9-11 per glas and
Metaglass. Like 18-20 per glass. Those aren’t exact prices but it’s a real close estimate as my cost usually involves welding the ferrules on with the glass and pieces. But the glass is not expensive for any option.

That’s why I just don’t understand why they don’t go for the more expensive piece off the rip. :exploding_head:

It’s sorta like the gasket deal too. Like cheap cinnamon viton and buna are like .80 per gasket. I don’t understand why they all don’t come with fda viton which might cost 2.50 per gasket. I understand it’s 3x the price but when looking at the price of some of these machines. Don’t you think your customer is worth $1.70 more. That’s like a pepsi

6 Likes

If your sight glass didn’t crack when you reinstalled it, then it likely cracked because the thermal shock it was subjected to when that dry ice/acetone mixture spilled on it.
Polycarbonate has a much higher coefficient of thermal expansion/contraction than borosilicate glass, so that sudden shift in temperature likely just caused too much contraction too fast.

Acetone will certainly weaken polycarbonate but in this instance I think the acetone would have to be in contact with the sight glass for quite a while to ruin its structural integrity.

1 Like

It was the Acetone.

4 Likes

Mine all cracked just due to a lbs of torque they should be able to be torqued to the gasket specs but they dont handle it, my extractor was over 7000, it came with buna gaskets and poly sight glasses, aside from that it’s a nice extractor but it’s way over priced for having b and c grade components… the borosilicate ones can be properly torqued and they dont scratch, and have a higher pressure rating…
Never contacted them about the sight glasses but I did about the gaskets and they never responded, I could have called but I’m always working during their hours

4 Likes

I’m gunna have to hit you up for some

2 Likes

Im not sure why they sell sightglasses for hydrocarbons when polycarb isnt raited for them.
https://www.calpaclab.com/polycarbonate-chemical-compatibility-chart/

3 Likes

That chart says chlorinated hydrocarbons it’s not safe for, but cycloalphatic hydrocarbons its resistant to.

1 Like

Hey guys, hit my post cap as a new member so I haven’t had an opportunity to reply.

I’m super thrilled with the responses I got on this thread, and as my first post here, I couldn’t be happier to be a new member of this community. You guys are awesome!

Wanted to share this short youtube clip demonstrating the instantaneous effects of acetone on polycarbonate. Acetone should not be used in conjunction with polycarbonate sight glasses (and it will wreck the face of your gauge, too).

9 Likes

I’ve had similar issues with getting responses via email. Was just sent a thermometer probe adapter with a completely different gasket than the one I had ordered previously that won’t work for my SPD system. Consistency issues are something I expect with China, not BVV, though as mentioned they probably source everything from China.

Excited for my borosilicate sights, but am bummed they are charging such an outrageous amount!

1 Like

Definitely doesn’t make sense to sell sight glasses that can’t withstand -40C in a system that is designed to be exposed to -78C. I think I may have to be done dealing with BVV, their quality and support just isn’t there.

2 Likes

That’s essentially where I got with bvv, I’ll use em if I absolutely have to, they did send me the wrong 6" cap for my dewaxer and they replaced it shortly after for free and didnt require me to return the original, so they arent all bad I guess… its hit and miss at best with all the big name companies I’ve used so far…
I had an acetone spill which tried to melt my shoes to the floor and my agitator (aka vibrator) melted to the floor so be careful, and I think just about every type of gasket (except maybe ptfe)
is unsafe to get acetone on so keep that in mind if you have a spill depending on the circumstances…

After watching that video I can say with 1000% certainly my sight glasses are not polycarbonate.

I didn’t know polycarbonate was lexan. Yeah. That no good for an extractor. :man_facepalming:t3: I thought polycarbonate was another type of glass not plastic. Lmao!

5 Likes

yeah, the only place I use polycarbonate is the PPE protecting my sight (glasses :wink: )

Edit: some fuckhead stole the last set (prescription!!) so I bought two pairs this time…

11 Likes

Bvv doesnt reccomend the use of acetone in or near their extractors btw I asked on the phone and he said hes never heard of anyone doing that.

I’m just stupid. I really didn’t understand the different between quartz banger and borosilicate. I thought they were the same for a while. I don’t look at specifics like this typically.

I just thought polycarbonate was just thought it was another type of glass.

But I know my sightglasses are actually glass 1000%. For sure not lexan

4 Likes