Butane or ethanol?

Right now our lab is in debate over getting either the px1 (18k) or the ethos 4 by capna(80k). What I’m seeing is that the etho 4 winterizes during extraction elimating 2 days of wait time from winterzation after making crude from butane. Is the price jump all that worth it. And is ethanol extraction a better safer route to go?

I should also mention also we plan on making distillate

Depends, do you care about terps?

Thanks for the reply! I hadn’t heard much on that topic. Pretty interesting because as much as we want them are there other routes togo with taste or does alot of distillate sell without them?

1 Like

I’m from Michigan and we’re flying out to LA to check out the ethos in person. I’m trying to prepare alot of questions because usually they throw a bunch of pitchs at me on why the system is perfect.

2 Likes

The Ethos is not a very good deal. What are your regulations regarding UL/Peer reviewed equipment? What is your desired throughout? You should start by solving your biggest bottlenecks first which is going to be evaporation then filtering. After you achieve your desired throughout in each I’d move on to extraction. While you invest in your evaporation and filtration you can use insulated buckets, dry ice, exctraction bags, and a cheap centrifuge to get moving with making crude. For $80k you can do a lot more than the Ethos offers. You can get a custom centrifuge built for around $25k then spend the rest on pumps process chillers and other ancillary gear. I have a lab tech that has used an Ethos, he said he was not impressed especially for the price tag. An 18-24” diameter perforated basket centrifuge will get you processing 500-1k pounds a day easy (as long as your filters and evaporation can keep up) plus 95%+ return on ethanol which over time is a big cost reduction. If you are set on only choosing one of the two options you mentioned I’d go with the BHO rig. For 80k you can get 4 for BHO rigs and do room temp winterization using Methanol and Alumina Oxide which should save you a bunch of time, you can then evaporate and move on. By running 4 systems you will get to a point (rather quickly) where you are producing into stock for each process step (ie crude for filtering, filtered crude for 1st pass, 1st pass distillate for 2nd pass). From a production stand point this is what you want. Especially since you’ll need down time to service your recovery pumps, do deep cleans, replace valves, gaskets, and hoses, and so forth.

18 Likes

Making crude with the px1 forget it! go with etoh unless you can get a larger hydrocarbon machine

1 Like

@Jay-TL You are a fucking gem, my friend. Excellent breakdown. I was actually wondering what the cost would be to get a custom centrifuge built the other day. Totally forgot I knew someone with a mechanical engineering degree who also happens to own a fab shop up in Denver. It’ll be a few months before I begin talks with him, but it’s nice to have a ballpark now. Would you say that price for a custom built centrifuge would also be floodable?

4 Likes

Thank you @coppertop yes that price is for a floadable centrifuge. The group Im currently working with is out of India so prices are a little cheaper but I had one made a little while ago here in CA for around $50k. Knowing a mechanical engineer who can also weld/machine stainless is priceless!! Sounds like one hell of a friend to have!

6 Likes

I appreciate the replies guys. When you say evaporation are you talking about spd and roto vap? If so we already have picked our spd out.

I would suggest you go look at @DeltaSeparationsNate while you are in Cali. Also, winterizing BHO shouldn’t take 2 days.

5 Likes

I think if you’re set on the PX1 or the Capna you should definitely go with the PX1. I use both systems in my lab and the range you of products you can make with a PX1 exceeds the Capna. Also the capna is extremely inefficient without the aid of a centrifuge (another 10-55k investment).

1 Like

Future what is a normal winterization period then? Also does Nate have a website or contact? I’m very interested.

When you say multiple products is that the only reason bho is superior? We are focused on making carts/distillate mainly.

Also we haven’t been told about the centrifuge being needed by capna yet? Why does that make it more efficient.

Again guys, thanks for your time.

Better solvent recovery in the material. Hydrocarbon is best though definetly the most versatile

1 Like

Evaporation.

1 Like

When you soak the material with ethanol some of that ethanol gets trapped. Using a centrifuge is the most time efficient method of getting as much back as possible. Without the centrifuge you will likely lose 10-20% of your ethanol each soak.

1 Like

go hydrocarbon and don’t look back.

7 Likes

In addition to losing 10-20% of your ethanol you are going to lose cannabinoids. Just running the Capna without removing the excess ethanol is resulting in 3-7% THCa remaining in my trim. Most of that is within the ethanol matrix that cant be removed from the plant material.

I’ve tested the raffinate and run-off of about 10-15 runs. You def need a centrifuge to use the Capna effectively.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing, have actually tested and verified these things, your input is priceless!!