Butane Contaminant Demystified

Just perusing the all knowing one.

3 Likes

MeOH confirmed in two month old gas sample (before we started remediation).

Thanks @all!

42 Likes

Man, a lab with an analyst can do incredible things. Thanks for posting.

8 Likes

You rock @cyclopath this is great
Who else is going to hit us with the methanol they find in their solvent? Knowing what to look for should simplify this greatly!

17 Likes

:joy::+1: Bingo. Sold at Whole Foods.
Finally someone got it.

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/je501113y

FYI, there are massive shortages of carbon currently, as I mentioned earlier.

Would guess these plants producing hydrocarbons are using the least quantity needed to pass their in house analytics.

4 Likes

If anyone is in oregon and wants to bring in a sample weā€™re happy to run it and look for methanol!

The Amine is next!

So thankful for tedlar bags!

13 Likes

Really? you want I should go after the DEA?!?

Iā€™m in!!

9 Likes

20 Likes

Iā€™ve been using coarse carbon to clean all my gas for a while now, but Iā€™ve still been getting a fast crash. I happened to have summit researchā€™s stuff (carbon chemistry?) on hand so thats what Iā€™ve been using. Maybe I havenā€™t used enough carbon to clean up 100lb of gas at a time, or maybe the source of carbon isnā€™t as effective as another source, as the little research paper was stating. The carbon Iā€™m using still works for benzene and propylene though.

4 Likes

Add some acidic alumina before the carbon, like @Photon_noir mentioned.

7 Likes

Itā€™s almost like heā€™s angrily posting he knows better than us, but hasnā€™t tried any of the ideas he declares will work. Cannachem sits on the ignore list for good reason.

Pretty sure charcoal was mentioned by other folks back in the days of the Benzene-medusa hypothesis. Didnā€™t work then either, although it did seem to fix benzene PPMs

2 Likes

:joy: you donā€™t know what multiple stages are for filters?

If the ACS has published studies, youā€™re going to deny their validity?

No, I just claimed you donā€™t have either biomass or a closed loop within reach, and that youā€™re peppering out these ideas across clients, but have neither data or experience. I think that vacuum mist is getting to your head.

7 Likes

I have a warehouse full of closed loops presold for new sites back east. And a trunk loaded with some rn as well. :joy:

Driving from Grantā€™s Pass to SoCal rn with a load of closed loops and WFEā€™s to be refurbished by my shop as we speak.

For members on this forum.

You clearly donā€™t know me.

No where did I state the quality/consistency of carbon needed, or that carbon alone does the separation needed.

Just like MagSil, there are LOTS of qualities/forms of carbon.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve been waiting to get my activated alumina for months xD have it on a shopping list, but the lab moves slow, Iā€™m the only guy in it so I just do what I can. And Iā€™ve mentioned carbon in the benzene-medusa thread multiple times. I donā€™t need any credit lol I like going unnoticed, I just wanna survive and put shelter over my head n food on my table.

5 Likes

Do you have a working solution for this right now or not?

Can I use your filter skid design and sop to clean my gas and be free from chalky diamonds and stable gas that doesnā€™t fast crash?

3 Likes

I try to live a life filled with gratitude. Letā€™s take a moment to soak in that gratitude.

And will he refund your time when it doesnā€™t?

2 Likes

Iā€™m getting alumina in the form of sieve beads and using that in conjunction with my coarse activated carbon. As a preinjection/liquid path filter Iā€™ll use a stack of AA on top of AC, separated by filter paper. Under my vapor column with 3a, will have the same type of filter stack to clean the vapor path. I already distill at 120f which is the max my tankless natural gas heater goes to. Someone else had mentioned simply distilling at higher temperatures worked, perhaps higher than 120f?

Iā€™ll let you know how consistent it is.

For now, this is a run of GMO dry trim/buds. Butane (pre extraction) was passed thru carbon, b80, and s60 (cuz why not) and distilled thru 3a and carbon. Letā€™s see if it crashes out by tomorrow. Fresh out the CLS

Edit: also this gas is from Praxair/Linde

7 Likes

It would only have been crazy if it didnā€™t work. But yes I do not recommend doing this without serious safety precautions setup.

6 Likes

You could use my filter skid design and not have fast crashing/medusa issues. Just got confirmation on a working method to remediate DEA in-line with the solvent stream.

9 Likes