Butane Contaminant Demystified

what was this unflavored butane used for traditionally?

1 Like

So first you said you may have gotten too excited when talking about this and going over the blog you were gonna post. You also mention that the body of your blog post couldn’t have happened without this threads information. Now you said that you guys didn’t have any knowledge of this thread when you posted your blog. And that you were proof reading it this past weekend. Why does that not make any sense? How did the body of your blog post use info from this thread if you posted without knowledge of this thread. Sounds funny to me, am I missing something?

Thanks to everyone that spent all the time and energy working on this. I know this hasn’t been a problem for everyone, but it looks like most have been affected by it. Greta job to all.

I didn’t say I used info from this thread. This thread did not exist when I was working on this blog. I did say I gathered much info from this forum and its members. So yes my blog would not have been possible without this forum. The body of my blog used absolutely zero info from this thread, because it was created before this thread was. It is unfortunate that it was released directly after this thread was created, and I can see how that would lead to suspicion.

I will be happy to untwist any other words people would like to put in my mouth. I am an open book. Ask me whatever you like, and I will do my best to answer completely as possible, without spin or mud slinging.

2 Likes

Not trying to troll, but would honestly like to know what you read in our blog that would be impossible without Duke’s write up. I don’t see it, and would appreciate you backing up such accusations with at least some supporting evidence.

I will reiterate until I’m blue in the face, we had nothing to do with the research in this thread, and make no claims or representation as such. If there is misleading info in our blog that genuinely leads one to believe that we participated in this particular study, I will happily edit it so as to not take credit for someone else’s hard earned accomplishments.

Furthermore, if we had knowledge of this thread and were attempting to steal clout, why would we leave the suggested contaminants listed like H2O2, ethanol, propylene, etc. Seems to me the right way to steal someone’s accomplishments would be to copy them completely. Yes, methanol and amines are also listed as possible contaminants. Are we guilty of stealing their work when we didn’t even figure out the answer?

1 Like

im giving @SolventDirect_BigM the benefit of the doubt its just poor timing BUT… His boss has a habit of bad timing marketing.

Ive had some of this information a while ago from @Dukejohnson but hes a homie and asked me not to say anything until they had all the hard data. I didnt even tell other homies and clients out of respect for him and the work @GasLogix-Adam and their crew were doing.

Everyone wants to get free internet marketing and this just looks like another time solvent direct was marketing at the wrong time and @SolventDirect_BigM just probably wrote the blog with instruction from his boss.

he knows everyones gonna be googling medusa stones soon so why not make a blog capturing some of that trafiic like your leading the research on it… thats how this looks to me

16 Likes

Marketing, yes. Call to action, also yes.

Of course, as a business, everything done in the public eye is a form of marketing, like it or not. The main purpose of the blog post was to raise awareness of the issue and attempt to find others to cooperate with in finding answers to these issues.

I am going to refrain from any more discussion of my intentions in attempt to let this thread focus on the original topic. I will be happy to answer any questions via dm, or we can carry on the conversation in the Solvent Direct Sales and Support - Medusa Update - X-Gas Has Arrived! thread.

Once again, thank you @Dukejohnson and @GasLogix-Adam! Dare I say we have some contenders for another Beaker award? Keep on kicking ass everyone! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yes. Even so Duke et al. deserve all of the credit for identifying and confirming the issue.

We have been talking about the effect alcohol has on THCa crystallization as early as mid 2021 and before the medusah issue (I think)

Sorry that I’m bad at linking but you can see here us discussing the effects of ethanol on THCa crystals openly on the forum.

14 Likes

Winner!

The issue was around prior to then. I can dig up old pictures and video.

1 Like

So, is this a correct tl/dr?

1. you tested gas on adsorbent material
  2. you analyzed the adsorbent material and got presumptive hits for and oxygen containing compound and for amines.
  3. you suspect an amine as the contaminant
  4. you discovered a methanol hit on the gas
  5. you research the supply chain and find ethanolamine is added to clean out the methanol

Therefore ethanolamine is the culprit with further evidence to come?

7 Likes

Wouldn’t 4a sieves remove methanol since it’s 3.6a?

5 Likes

But the other issue is the amine that’s floating around, surely 4a doesn’t remediate that as well?

5 Likes

That’s what the alumina is for?

6 Likes

Can’t seem to find the molecular size of diethanolamine … so back to the refineries, what do they use?
It’s like they used more than their sieves can handle, or as they added more they exceeded their regen time and the carryover started, which kinda explains why some tanks are extra spicy.

2 Likes

3 Likes

Just perusing the all knowing one.

3 Likes

MeOH confirmed in two month old gas sample (before we started remediation).

Thanks @all!

42 Likes

Man, a lab with an analyst can do incredible things. Thanks for posting.

8 Likes

You rock @cyclopath this is great
Who else is going to hit us with the methanol they find in their solvent? Knowing what to look for should simplify this greatly!

17 Likes

:joy::+1: Bingo. Sold at Whole Foods.
Finally someone got it.

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/je501113y

FYI, there are massive shortages of carbon currently, as I mentioned earlier.

Would guess these plants producing hydrocarbons are using the least quantity needed to pass their in house analytics.

4 Likes