Budder / BHO protocol critique / help

you’ll hit under 500$ with both choices I gave you and better than the bvv idea.

personally I would go with the 6x12 with a platter. much easier harvesting.

I would 100% ask @Killa12345 what he’d charge for a hemi lid before you go to the other sites

oh fuck yeah you’re gonna need reducers for your column so you’re gonna need two of these and the gaskets and clamps … then you’re gonna need the ports and shit…

it might hit 600-650 given the blue monster yellow tape, the torque wrench and the high pressure clamps and gaskets…

you might at most hit 600$

It’s all just tri-clamp parts Where you source them from is all up to you

Right thanks a ton for the info. I gotta run but will go over all this later and see if I can’t sort it out / get something good from @killa12345. Much appreciated!

1 Like

anytime, stay safe and read up before you use it. :octopus: :v:

Yes. Static electricity can be your source of ignition. Neither you or your extraction equipment is grounded, and a light breeze is enough to generate a charge. One does not even need to be open blasting for static to cause a fire; it can happen when using a CLS in a classified space.

Butane and propane are heavier than atmosphere, and the evaporating solvent can work its way to an ignition source faster that one would think (and without even being visible).

Extracting with hydrocarbons is inherently dangerous, even when mitigating the risks. Please be careful. No hash is worth your life, and if you think your wife would be pissed about spending more than $500 to keep you safer, imagine how mad she would be if you blew yourself (and maybe your neighborhood) up…

6 Likes

Lol it depends I’ve got a great life insurance policy

Thank you though this is the explanation I was looking for. Makes total sense - even without a source of flame or electricity close by you could build up a static charge and ignite. Duh :man_facepalming: looks like it’s time to just pony up and upgrade. Either that or buy from a dispensary the rest of my life and that sure as hell won’t be cheaper. The dumb part is that I’m an ER doctor lol. I should know better! You’ve convinced me :grimacing:

2 Likes

Seriously…

Dealing with static electricity... MAJOR NO NO

We’ll never know if that’s what got @CuriousFurious

:cry:

2 Likes

Does that life insurance policy cover death by illicit drug lab explosion?

My journey to building my first cls; It was a 2×18 quarter # extraction unit, a lot of great info for newbies. :

Came here not knowing shit and now I’m helping people.

The lid I originally ran with was the mk3 Terpinator Lid. 6" Welded Lid for MK III Closed Loop Essential Oil Extractors – Emerald Gold

I eventually upgraded to a hemispherical lid because of the sight glasses.

Thanks a ton this is a gold mine. I’m reading through your old thread now.

What’s the advantage of the hemispherical lid compared to what you started with / how does it help with the sight glass? You think it’s important for some one who’d be running it once every 3 to 4 months?

You can see it evaporating and you can catch the right moment to cut the evaporation to get the best saturation point for what your looking to make.

Hells yeah I used to run once a month and the hemi lid is the way!!!

1 Like

In the end my 1# unit became a unit that runs like a dream.

I got so into the hobby, I sold off old parts to upgrade my middle spool and regular spool.

… I’m getting back into extraction next year because I miss it a lot. It’s been a while.

But eventually if you get it down you’ll wanna keep upgrading.

Yeah sounds like it. I’m stoned on my couch reading through your old thread from 5 years ago like it’s a captivating history lesson. Killa12345 sounds like he really knows his stuff. Keep it super simple. I gotta design something super basic but upgrade-able. Just like building my computer I’m sure as time goes by I’m going to want the cooler stuff. Thanks again!!!

2 Likes

Oh absolutely. :octopus: No problem man.

1 Like

what collection tank/base size do you think I’d need?

My spool (i’m learning the lingo) is 2" by 18" and is supposed to hold 150g. Each harvest I get about 300g-400g of material to run so I’m thinking I’ll need to do 2 or 3 runs.

Would a 6"x6" collection base be big enough? If I want to run quick/fast and use a 1:10 solvent ration (where I’ve read on other parts of this site) will the 6"x6" hold it all?

1 Like

Static discharge from synthetic material in your clothes.
Spark from head of a non-sparking wrench.
Your cell phone.
Your car remote fob.
Your smartwatch or any electrical watch.

We could go on…

4 Likes

sorry one more question - what do you think about a molecular sieve? You didn’t mention it in the initial setup you recommended but I’m reading and a lot of people say the butane is useless after a run or two without it. Thoughts? They are a lot of $$ (I’m seeing $400ish) but if the butane is really only good for a run or two without it then…

1 Like

Yes 6x6 is good enough for a 2x18 spool.

The collection base sizes are deliberately sized out to hold solvent amounts both liquid and vapor.

When you extract you’re going to be extracting into a liquid puddle that’s your solvent-laden Cannabis oil. The phase change from liquid to vapor happens as you use low heat outside your collection. There has to be enough room in the collection base to be able to handle this phase change as well as enough room to handle the psi shift.

When you’re going from no psi (liquid) to 30psi to 120psi (vapor) you need the room.

You should get a solvent scale to know how much solvent is in your tank so you know how much solvent is going into your system and how much you’re recovering.

There’s solvent math and shit. I think there’s a solvent calculator that gives a rough idea of how much solvent to material you should be running.

Lol I gotta brush up on that stuff.

Some people will give a fuck it and some people will give a do it or lose it attitude.

You’re gonna want to distill your solvent and when you’re doing that you want to distill it through a sieve and sieves can be easy to build. And under 400$

Yes you want to recover through a Mol-sieve to dry your butane.

You want to do that but use a sieve

1 Like

Personally, imo, probably not a popular one: I think if you’re doing extraction for your own personal use, distill your solvent and have no aspiration of making a dime/selling what you make to others then fuck using a sieve.

If you’re making it for money use a sieve.

Mol sieves are reusable as well.