Bucket Tek (Cold Ethanol Extraction on a Budget)

removing too much water from your ethanol makes it a less selective solvent…

you’re removing the excess water from your LPG in the gas phase, if you’re using that as your model, it is during the solvent recovery/distillation that you’d want to dewater.

certainly not trying to talk you out of trying it.

suggest trying a 5A sieve

4 Likes

I always vac seal all my jars with as little head space as possible. I do get a faint rrod, this is after months of storage.

1 Like

Very well done and put together. Thank for for providing this.

Are there any concerns with dissolving Dry Ice in Ethanol? I think a small amount of CO2 would be dissolved into the liquid ETOH and carried over into the oil?

Also have you considered doing 2 washes instead of only 1 to get a higher yield?

I am wanting to revise my process to be like yours. I have been using glass jars and a cooler.

CO2 dissolved in ethanol will evaporate in the rotovap. It will be completely gone before all the ethanol is gone. If you are making a tincture or something, just let it sit at room temp for a while and it will degas itself, or better yet, bubble nitrogen through your solution. This will also increase the pH, if it was lowered by CO2.

2 washes instead of 1 will definitely increase your yield, but keep the two pulls separate. The second wash you do will have a higher wax/fat concentration and there’s no sense diluting your first pull with this stuff. Depending on your end product, of course.

2 Likes

Make your own ethanol (moonshine)

1 Like

I don’t think the dry ice helps very much.

Can’t it’s illegal to make your own etoh.

You can buy your own ethanol, add a bunch of fruit and stuff and then mix it, filter it and then distill it. The whole thing about that being legal is that you’re paying taxes on the starting ethanol.

However, you can’t make your own ethanol from your own starting corn that you grow and ferment and process into ethanol.

You could get heptane denatured and take the time to separate it but it’s like not worth it from what I read and is I think also illegal to do that.

1 Like

Isnt theoretical solubilityof cannabinoids discussed somewehre here?

If you have lets say about 100mg/1ml (-30C) of etho of dissolving cappacity. You have 100g/1L. Meaning a kg of biomass in one liter…

Cause volume of 1kg is like 3L or something its deviding on 3 runs plausible?

I made runs on 2 new biomasses with same etho and it came out really nice with a dash of ac…

The second run left me hanging with about 5% so when there is alot of material and not being sold frequently is it feasible in time and production sense to even go for a second run?

You know rather go out partying with a profit not stocking up your facility and going out for a vacation for that saved time in a year. If your all sold out all the time I get it… …

To be sure you’re extracting everything, just take a sample of the 3rd biomass run. Sample it before you extract and after you extract. If you’re leaving 5% cannabinoids in there or more, I’d say your extraction efficiency is not good enough to justify this practice.

1 Like

I tested it coming bavk 0.7%…twas 8, 5% when recalculating through yield… Probably couldnt pull it off with 15% biomass yeah?

Do you recommend running biomass in fuge/panda between 1st and 2nd washes? My biomass was Saturated with Ethanol in cooler around -30C until I recovered all my ethanol for wash #2. Wash #2 was a bit more green than wash #1

Typically centrifuging warms the ethanol up which might make you pull a bit more pigments/undesirables. If you’re keeping wash 2 and wash 1 separate, I wouldn’t bother fuging between washes. Just fuge after wash 2 and keep the fuge’d extract with wash 2.

1 Like