Bucket Tek (Cold Ethanol Extraction on a Budget)

I find that even my best cryo extractions I’ve had always need CRC. The color is always dramatically better afterwards.

1 Like

I guess that all depends on your desired end product, @bg007. For ethanol dabbables, sure, CRC till your heart’s content. For disty or just crude being formulated for tinctures and edibles, absolutley no need for the extra time, money, and effort to remediate for color. I get amazing color from first pass on crude that was extracted at -40c with no magic dirt.

3 Likes

This is how I do it. 200 gallons so far.

1 Like

Hate to disagree with you, my man, but I put the most effort into my crude, not the least. The more I filter out before the less I have to slog through later. I usually run my crude extractions through two different cakes. As far as winterizing, I do that as well. I wonder if that’s the issue that he is having with the red distillate. The distillate I’ve seen from unwinterized crude was red with a nasty smell. I sometimes winterize in between runs if I’m feeling especially anal. The clearest distillate I ever made I winterized and CRC’d my first pass which came from crude that was also winterized and CRC’d. I don’t do that really ever anymore though. In my market color is not the driving factor so it’s not worth the extra effort. Even less than perfect color still looks amazing in a cart.

4 Likes

I welcome the disagreements, as they lead to discussion which hopefully leads to deeper understanding and hopefully some learning. My reasoning behind not wanting to filter my crude as much is to leave more in there on purpose. For medicinal benefit, it has been my experience, that the more stuff present in the crude (chlorophyll, sugars, etc), the more effective the product.

The market in the west is largely dependent on color, especially for dabbables/vapeables. My background is in medical cannabis, and for me, it is all about giving people the best medicine I can give them. If I don’t have to remediate for color, I try not to. Just my personal preference.

My guess with @CarolCBD’s red issue has something to do with the parameters on the machine being used. Most people I see using wipers or rollers are having really red first pass until they get the machines dialed. Sadly, dialing in WFE is not my area of expertise, yet.

3 Likes

I tried to degass the crude longer than I used to and this is how it goes up to now. More honey-like. I havent tried to winterized or color remediation. Thanks to @Akoyeh for advise me.

Greeting from Colombia :slight_smile:

4 Likes

state law in Montana allows you to make your own solvent as long as you’re not selling liquor, if anyone wants to move to MT…

2 Likes

they got geothermal & snow too…

http://deq.mt.gov/Energy/renewableenergy/Geothermal/Sites

1 Like

Your Google-fu must be suffering from the cold… Haha

Edit: You edit faster than I could finish my reply @cyclopath. Haha

1 Like

For everyone who runs this tek - roughly how much dry ice is consumed per kilo of biomass? I’m going to give it a shot later this week.

So many things vary there. How cold are you maintaining the solution, and how fast are you working? I did a 60lb bucket tek extraction a few weeks back and I used around 17 gallons of ethanol and 120-140lbs of ice roughly. That’s with me maintaining at -40 to -60c and working as fast as I can

1 Like

Well here’s the thing. You don’t want to add dry ice to your etoh directly. You want to either prechill your etoh with dry ice chilling the container Or you can pour etoh into your stainless steel vessel and make the vessel cold af with dry ice on the outside of it maintaining the temp.

In fact I would recommend that you get a sleeved vessel and use dry ice and acetone to cool down the vessel with etoh.

1 Like

I add ice to my etho directly all the time. Lots of us do this without trouble

@midsfactory
@lefties.cannabis
@Demontrich

4 Likes

The direct addition of ice was supposedly a problem with carbonic acid/acidity of the etoh correct? As it is, my etoh is testing at 3.5-4 using paper strips, can’t imagine the dry ice could make it too much worse. So @FicklePickle it looks like you used a little over 2lb of dry ice for each lb of biomass. Are there economies of scale here or is that fairly stable up and down with size of run? I’m looking at doing 1kg run just for process development, and production runs would still only be around 5kg.

3 Likes

Roughly, that’s a fair place to start. I can’t get much more specific then that. I’d say try on some scale and see what works for you.

Adding ice does make the etho more acidic, but that hasn’t affected distillation or end test results so :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

2LB of DI to 1lb bio mass sounds about right, even at 100lb biomass scale. I think we’re at 1.65 : 1

i don’t get crazy isomers in my distillation so the acidification from CO2 doesn’t seem to be an issue.

7 Likes

can you fill these with etoh to soak then drain and spin it?

This SOP looks way too fun not to try.

never flooded it, just used it to spin dry biomass.

1 Like

fair enough. couldn’t tell in the pic. you know of any small centrifuges that can be flooded?