Bucket Tek (Cold Ethanol Extraction on a Budget)

It may be easier to go with a bunch of smaller ones for handling/ easier draining. Plus if one rips it’s not a huge deal.

I was going to use this fabric to stitch my own since I couldn’t find exactly what I wanted:

https://www.amazon.com/Duda-Energy-sheets5-Micron-Polyester/dp/B00AWKG23C/ref=mp_s_a_1_3/143-3951807-0622522?ie=UTF8&qid=1527866354&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=filter+25+micron+fabric&dpPl=1&dpID=31S8Ua1NC7L&ref=plSrch

1 Like

Any suggestions or links for bags? (I see one was posted before I got to post this :joy:)

I’m going to try it out today with two stock pots and a colander.

Actually sorry that is a polyester, I don’t think that’s ok with ethanol… Trying to find a cheap nylon 25 mesh roll…

1 Like

mesh for hash (mash710.com)

2 Likes

implies custom made 250lbs (dry!) teabags. from boldtbags.com

edit: boldt bags website seems to have issues at the moment.
google suggests contact@boldtbags.com or 877-450-2247.

Custom is good, thanks.

Future, can you please clarify some parameters of this SOP:
Acceptable temperature and moisture content range of the plant matter as it hits the solvents? Of course the widest possible rangewithout causing serious yield or quality issues would be ideal.

I’ve ran old bone dry brown, fresh, and fresh frozen.

All had good results, however the fresh frozen yielded my very first batch of water clear distillate

4 Likes

Great, thanks!!!

Sounds like moisture content and temperature of the plant material doesn’t matter too much when it is put into the solution, as long as the solution remains >-50C!

I tried bucket tech today.

I’m impressed with the amount of biomass I was able to run through.

What is the budget solvent recovery tech?

1 Like

Clothes washer

1 Like

I was going to use this as a centrifuge.

I was actually wondering about replacing the rotovap. It looks like I’ll need a 20l to really produce quantity, but that’s a lot of $…

You’ll defiantly want the 30l.
I like these better than the panda

8 Likes

Thank you :+1:

1 Like

Have you used it? If so, what are the returns?

Years ago…I remember it was similar to the panda. Nothing too special here, just better materials. I would defiantly over clock it too, you’ll get more back.

Could you just do bucket tech in two Pandas?

assuming the wetted path and bearings were appropriate. which requires a tear-down. chances are they’re not. filling the bowl with solvent is a slightly different game than just running solvent out of your biomass and through the sides of the basket. given that the Panda was never meant to be full of water, the bearings may not be as well sealed as on a machine that expects the bearings to be submerged during normal operation.

The NSEP was also not designed for a bowl full of solvent, and might suffer similar issues. (not a problem if you’re soaking your biomass elsewhere…)

1 Like

I go with the all-mesh bubble bags. Been working great. Also, doing this, my tech is a bit modified from this SOP. I actually only use the panda to pull the last cup of solvent out of the bag.

2 Likes

Thanks. Seems like a lot of fuss to save a small step. I’ll stick to buckets :slight_smile:

I got the all mesh bags from amazon.