Buchner funnel ethanol filtering

Is there something in particular you need @Eeeugene?

Using a buchner for winterization would not be my go to at most scales.

5 Likes

I banged out 3 gallons or so of some green ass “grinch” colored ethanol with a buchner, celite, ao, and a welch diaphram vac pump.

Edited, BUT I also imploded a 10k eryml flask under -15hg also.

5 Likes

What is your go to method for a medium size scale?

Medium” could mean 1gal a week or 500gal a day depending on who your talking to…rec/med cannabis vs hemp also changes the meaning at least 10fold

What does it mean to you?

3L Centrifuge for first pass filtration after winterization?

I like using a centrifuge. Small scale (liter or two at a time) I’ve used bottles and pelleted the fats/waxes. Simply pour off (decant) the dewaxed tincture.

At larger scale I’d switch to a perforated basket with a 1um felt liner (A Panda can handle this).

once I got sick of emptying fats/waxes from the basket, I’d either switch to a scraper/peeler style fuge, or a cream separator style fuge.

Bag/sock filters aren’t a bad solution in the “medium” range, and you don’t have to treat the bags as single use.

…but being lazy, I try to avoid the need to winterize in the first place, by extracting cold enough that I don’t pick them up.

6 Likes

Just wanted to bring this back to the top of the page.
I use a Buchner funnel, tho it barely pulls anything out cause I run everything so damn cold to begin with. Might get some finer papers tho… idk. Stuff comes out pretty clear.
Edit: It would be cool to hear how people do some easy color remedies with a buchner. :slight_smile:

Lots of posts about etoh color remediation. Not a lot of options compared to hydrocarbon crc, because most of the magic dirt doesn’t work as effectively or at all with ethanol or other solvents one would normally want to use in a buchner. Seems carbon is more effective in warm etoh, and the clays are more effective in cold.

I would try winterizing through a celite cake, then a warm carbon scrub, followed by cold filtering through some T-5 on top of celite in your buchner.

The colder your ethanol, the longer it takes to suck through. It’s amazing the difference in speed between room temp and dry ice cold!

3 Likes

I filter at cryo temps w/o issue thru a buchner funnel. Stack that buchner with powders and vac.

Out of curiosity, what kind of vacuum pump set up are you all using for Buchner Funnels?

I recently had a client who was running four and we provided a dry screw vacuum pump. It pulled a lot of contaminates into it but we have an easy way to clean those out

I can run 3x 600ml/5000ml buchner setups with 1x welch wob-l diaphram pump w/o any issues

2 Likes

What’s the easy way @BroxTek? Can you share it w us?

2 Likes

Looked around and this seems to be the closest topic for my question:

I have an buchner funnel that I am about to put into use filtering some ethanol. In looking into how this will work I see that I will need to add a fritted disc to the buchner.

Now… From what I research the disc should be 20 to 25 microns. I have found a place to buy the discs but I am uncertain as the their rating… they offer “fine” and “coarse”… how about a :spoon: little guidance.

Edit:

well, that’s a first. I actually got a reply to an email sent to info@ before a reply here… in case anyone was wondering

“I am happy to assist you with your product questions. On the manufacturer’s website I was able to locate the Micron size guide for Chemglass products. I hope this information helps answer your questions!”

Fine F 4.0 - 5.5 Filtration and extraction.
Medium M 10 - 16 Filtration and extraction.
Coarse C 40 - 60 Gas dispersion, gas washing and absorption, coarse filtration.
Extra Coarse XC 170 - 220 Gas dispersion, gas washing and absorption, coarse filtration.

1 Like

A sintered glass buchner is really meant for filtering acids and corrosives that would attack a filter paper.

You certainly wouldn’t add the disc to a buchner if it had holes. You just need some filter papers.

there seems to be a lot of information around that suggests using the fritted disc along with different powdered media in the buchner to filter ethanol is something that is common.

I do appreciate the input as all information and opinions are welcomed!!

It’s common but not necessary. More surface area with the sintered but you are going to want a paper right above the sintered glass or else it’s really hard to clean.

You will find it much harder to locate a filter paper the exact inner diameter than one just bigger than the holes

1 Like

WTF are you trying to filter out?

Are you actually filtering JUST ethanol?

Or do you have something fun in there like cannabinoids?

For JUST ethanol?

So tell us what you are ACTUALLY trying to achieve…

Different media perform different tasks. You have currently listed zero tasks that require media or a frit. You have absolutely seen folks mention sintered filters and media in the same sentence around here, but I’d bet money none of them ALSO mentioned an actual buchner, and were ALL “CRC” related.

You will have much easier time using a pressurized Buckner. It’s much easier to push through your filter then to pull it with your vacuum pump.

1 Like

Is it still a buchner at that point?

I’ve certainly seen the term used, and understand it. Not sure I buy it’s validity

1 Like

It’s not… but USAlab calls it that :grin:

2 Likes

Because: cannabis!

:man_shrugging:

For real… you’re not joking… Since the Cannabis gold rush started, lab supply have skyrocketed in price for no good reason.