Buchner funnel ethanol filtering

Lots of posts about etoh color remediation. Not a lot of options compared to hydrocarbon crc, because most of the magic dirt doesn’t work as effectively or at all with ethanol or other solvents one would normally want to use in a buchner. Seems carbon is more effective in warm etoh, and the clays are more effective in cold.

I would try winterizing through a celite cake, then a warm carbon scrub, followed by cold filtering through some T-5 on top of celite in your buchner.

The colder your ethanol, the longer it takes to suck through. It’s amazing the difference in speed between room temp and dry ice cold!

3 Likes

I filter at cryo temps w/o issue thru a buchner funnel. Stack that buchner with powders and vac.

Out of curiosity, what kind of vacuum pump set up are you all using for Buchner Funnels?

I recently had a client who was running four and we provided a dry screw vacuum pump. It pulled a lot of contaminates into it but we have an easy way to clean those out

I can run 3x 600ml/5000ml buchner setups with 1x welch wob-l diaphram pump w/o any issues

2 Likes

What’s the easy way @BroxTek? Can you share it w us?

2 Likes

Looked around and this seems to be the closest topic for my question:

I have an buchner funnel that I am about to put into use filtering some ethanol. In looking into how this will work I see that I will need to add a fritted disc to the buchner.

Now… From what I research the disc should be 20 to 25 microns. I have found a place to buy the discs but I am uncertain as the their rating… they offer “fine” and “coarse”… how about a :spoon: little guidance.

Edit:

well, that’s a first. I actually got a reply to an email sent to info@ before a reply here… in case anyone was wondering

“I am happy to assist you with your product questions. On the manufacturer’s website I was able to locate the Micron size guide for Chemglass products. I hope this information helps answer your questions!”

Fine F 4.0 - 5.5 Filtration and extraction.
Medium M 10 - 16 Filtration and extraction.
Coarse C 40 - 60 Gas dispersion, gas washing and absorption, coarse filtration.
Extra Coarse XC 170 - 220 Gas dispersion, gas washing and absorption, coarse filtration.

1 Like

A sintered glass buchner is really meant for filtering acids and corrosives that would attack a filter paper.

You certainly wouldn’t add the disc to a buchner if it had holes. You just need some filter papers.

there seems to be a lot of information around that suggests using the fritted disc along with different powdered media in the buchner to filter ethanol is something that is common.

I do appreciate the input as all information and opinions are welcomed!!

It’s common but not necessary. More surface area with the sintered but you are going to want a paper right above the sintered glass or else it’s really hard to clean.

You will find it much harder to locate a filter paper the exact inner diameter than one just bigger than the holes

1 Like

WTF are you trying to filter out?

Are you actually filtering JUST ethanol?

Or do you have something fun in there like cannabinoids?

For JUST ethanol?

So tell us what you are ACTUALLY trying to achieve…

Different media perform different tasks. You have currently listed zero tasks that require media or a frit. You have absolutely seen folks mention sintered filters and media in the same sentence around here, but I’d bet money none of them ALSO mentioned an actual buchner, and were ALL “CRC” related.

You will have much easier time using a pressurized Buckner. It’s much easier to push through your filter then to pull it with your vacuum pump.

1 Like

Is it still a buchner at that point?

I’ve certainly seen the term used, and understand it. Not sure I buy it’s validity

1 Like

It’s not… but USAlab calls it that :grin:

2 Likes

Because: cannabis!

:man_shrugging:

For real… you’re not joking… Since the Cannabis gold rush started, lab supply have skyrocketed in price for no good reason.

Either way this works pretty good once you change some of the valves

2 Likes

I guess I should have given more information.

I clean my collection and other pieces on my CLS with ethanol. I am not big on scraping so there is substantial leavings in the ethanol

I winterize the ethanol and filter it. When I accumulate a couple of liters I distill it and with the oil that is left my GF processes it into different products such as topicals and tinctures and I get to reclaim the ethanol

I used to use a little extractcraft but it took a shit after 5 or 6 years of service. I picked up a 1 litre rotovap and to reclaim the ethonol and just like the extractcraft the left over oil is dark.

I started thinking about maybe filtering the ethanol before running it through the rotovap. Since I already have a buchner I have been watching videos and gathering up some things that might work

I am just playing around with this, and probably get more enjoyment out of tinkering around with stuff than most would understand

My plan, however misguided, was to pick up a fritted disc to place in the buchner, then a piece of filter psper, the make a bed of some media (probably celite) followed by some AC.

Like I said… for me the intrigue is in the journey, not really the destination

Thanks for the reply!

1 Like

So it’s not about filtration.
It’s about color remediation.

It’s not misguided, simply not described worth a damn till this point, which made it harder to be helpful :wink:

You are not using AC to filter ethanol.

You are using the butcher to filter the AC out of your tincture.

You would also be using that bed of diatomaceous earth in your buchner to filter out the ac (depth/3D filtration).

I assume you have read EHO Color Remediation

Edit: so when you say “buchner” are you actually referring to one of these?

Because the usalabs “buchner” is a perfectly usable filtration device, but it’s not a buchner. A buchner does not require the addition of a sintered disk.

Buchners, especially glass ones, may have a sintered frit, but if the don’t have one, adding one is not standard practice

2 Likes

Bingo!! I don’t have a buchner funnel I have what USA Labs “calls” a “buchner funnel”. I also don’t really speak the chem language properly or describe my intent and proposed procedure with anything even closing resembling someone who knows what he is doing.

I am closer to 70 than I am to 65 and my last formal instructions in the world of chemistry was in 1972. Needless to say in 1972 my daily activities usually revolved around purple oswley or a bit of white microdot. The only thing I really took away from that class was a D- that Mr. Dunham so generously gave me so that I would vacate the premises.

I love this stuff and I love playing around at a tinkers pace. I also appreciate your reply and then a bit of a concession that even though I don’t know enough to even explain what I want to ask (other than just wanting to know the micron ratings of "fine and “coarse”) That I am not 100% off track, you are for sure one of the exemplary individuals on this site that always comes around to lay down some knowledge to those in need… Thank You!!

The intrigue might be in the journey but the satisfaction is in the destination. Like the man said “Well, I don’t know but I’ve been told
You never slow down, you never grow old” Approaching 70 I take great comfort in those words

Thanks Again

3 Likes

you are most welcome.

Having the right terminology makes searching so much easier, and enables more productive discussion.

3 Likes