Biomass Grinding at various scales?

Might look into conical screen mills, theoretically they should create much less dust then a hammer mill, less noise and more consistent sizes. (I’ve not used one but told about them)

2 Likes

AWESOME! That might just be the clue I was looking for.

they essentially mirror my gold standard…
product is forced through a conical screen with appropriately sized holes.

here is the simplest implementation, which makes the connection to my preferred method abundantly clear.

3 Likes

Has anyone used anything like either of these mills for high-volume grinding/milling?

This one is ~7k, claims 1100 lb/hr dry corn at 1/16"
https://pleasanthillgrain.com/hippo-hammer-mills-1-hippo-usa

This one is ~27k, claims ~300 lb/hr dry corn at 1/16"
http://www.kannamill.com/kannamill-food-grade/

2 Likes

Does anyone have experience using a Toro 51621 vac/ blower/ mulcher for grinding/ transferring biomass?

Yes. I work with a bosch brand
I have blunted the rotor theeth for iT to grind less
IT works fast yet creates a fair amount of dust
But after the milling process i pass My material treu a vacuum de seeder to get ris of the seeds that My material has
Something You Guy’s luckely don t have to
Yet i can tell You that a vacuum deseeder works really Well on size partition
The dust go s in the vacuum cleaner the leaves in the catch compartment
And the seeds and stems fall
straight true
By putting a fancontroler on the vacuum blower i can fairly precise adjust what i want to cathc

11 Likes

Thank you again @Roguelab!

The hemp guys here probably need to understand that trick!

I suspect using the digital power regulator that @SkyHighLer told us about would give you even better control…

6 Likes

Thank you @Roguelab.

Are you saying that you’re able to mulch everything (leaves, stems, seeds) together with the vac mulcher, and then WITHOUT having to go through manually to remove stems or seeds, you’re then able to use the seed cleaner to dial in your partitioning? I’m particularly interested in the idea that we wouldn’t need to slowly pick through our biomass to remove stems as you can tell :wink:

Thank you again.

1 Like

“By putting a fancontroler on the vacuum blower i can fairly precise adjust what i want to cathc”

The best motor controller I’ve found is a Variac, they’re not recommended for motors, but usually will work just fine if you use one rated for double the wattage of the motor you’re trying to control. Every lab should have a Variac on the shelf, they’re so cheap nowadays get the biggest you can, in the USA a 20 amp 110 volt goes for less than a $100 including shipping (they are heavy!!)

A further advantage of a Variac is it provides about 30% over voting at full turn of the knob, most devices can take the extra juice with little harm or inefficiency drawbacks.

Great thread!!!

4 Likes

Well Yes i atached the garden vacuum (toro) to a big wooden box with a hepa filter on the far end capable of holding 25kg then only being half full
Instead of the bag iT comes with normally
Once all is shreaded
Get iT out of the box and in to the deseeder
Photo is from My proto type
I now run 3 Wich are 1.5 m high and 121 cm wide and 20 cm thick
The material entrance hole is 20 cm diameter and the moter they run on are what we call torin blowers 4500M2 per hour
I have dubble filter cloth to protect the torin
And as skyhighler recomended a variac as controls
And a plexiglass front cover to be able to see Whats gooing on
Start the engine and start shoveling in material with the variac You adjust Some material is denser (heavier) etc
I process 25 kg of. Biomass in 10 min this
Way
Downside to the gardenvacuum iT breaks 15 % of seeds that Will not be removed by the deseeder and Will endup in your end product as hemp oil
In My research that Gives me about a 3% less cannabinoid content in My raw oil
Most seeds are fluf seeds but Some are hemp oil rich seeds :angry::worried:
But this is the fastest way for me to work in bulk
Building a proto type Will cost. No more than a 100 $ and a Home vacuumcleaner works. Also
Aditionaly i have also stacked them on to each other to get more separations going in one run 2 vacuum machines separate controls iT works but for bulk the assembly gets to high for convinience
Good luck

9 Likes

Thank you again. I’m adding this to the project list.

Im sorry, somehow I missed how youre doing your rough grinding/ lump breaking/ destemming

Grinding i use a garden leaf vacuum cleaner that exaust in a hepa filtered box instead of the cloth bag that comes with it

12 Likes

You posted a video of a seed cleaner, not a grinder. I understand the principles behind the seed cleaner, but first you must undergo size reduction no?

or are you saying that you’re pouring dried de-stemmed buds into the seed cleaner and the suction is breaking everything up?

Shredders for DIYers | Bosch DIY ?

just guessing…

2 Likes

Any leads on diy overclocking these things?

I ALWAYS break down my fresh frozen before blasting. We use a industrial kitchen roller. All material is frozen to -82c , than “rolled over” in a vaccum seal bag. Than back into the freezer for 24 hours prior to extracting . My yields are between 5-6% on average.

7 Likes

Are you extracting hemp or cannabis ? What would your yields be if you extracted same material dry?

cannabis. Not sure what the yield would be dry as I have only run those varieties frozen.

1 Like

Anybody tried a Buffalo Chopper? This seems perfect within a scale.