Biomass Grinding at various scales?

so my freeze, squeeze, then pour onto computer paper for easy pouring is caveman?

1 Like

Why computer paper? Freeze, squeeze, and pour from ziplock works just fine for me lol

1 Like

how do u funnel it and not get it every where or I’d just use my vac seal.bags…like cut the corner off in funnel?

1 Like

Ziplock crushed seam to seam Makes a pour spout lol

1 Like

hmmm maybe I could cut my vac seal bag at small angle, freeze crush in bag and try pouring from it next time. sure would cut down on some time

can not wait till I finish my rack mount project then I dont have to climb up chair to pack it

I needed a new (to me, Oster) blender base so I could properly homogenize samples of my problematic input. So I went to St Vinnies.

My Oster fetish could not leave the “ice crushing attachment”.

And then some @cyclopath took an inner-tube and a couple of tri-clamp parts and ran a bag of weed through it.

Directly into the bag!!

Almost tempted to swap in some trimmer line and run last summers product through it :thinking:

Edit: see what I mean about “…added some tri-clamp parts”?

This is why one needs a palette of parts…

11 Likes

It’s beautiful!!!

3 Likes

Truly!!!

1 Like

:pray: The blender base I picked up for work isn’t as photogenic…

2 Likes

The base uses a 1/4” square drive.

Which means you can take your sampling/smoothie rig mobile.

7 Likes

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HVB2C54

Blade sets are available, in both 4 & 6 tip versions. And the blades and gaskets are autoclavable, depending I guess on who’s gasket you use. Mine are all silicone currently.

The threaded piece that interacts with the jar is probably NOT, on anything outside of a second hand shop.

If you need to sterilize everything (say: you want to blend that square of agar), many of the older screw bases are Bakelite (like the one I just picked up), the original ones were Alu…but there is minimal if any contact with the inside of the jar, so you can mostly get away with just autoclaving the jars, blades & gaskets…right @Soxhlet?

1 Like

Hi,
The best way to do it is assemble a jar of distilled water with the blender piece and a normal canning ring. The silicone seal is fine, but the plastic part of the blender base will melt. leave the ring finger tight and cap it with some foil. PC it for 60 min at 15 psi and let the cooker cool entirely before transferring the jar to the hood or glove box. From there it is easy to choose agar sectors prom the petri dish and add them to the jar. from there you can whizz up the mycelium and use it to inoculate big batches of grain.

For hunks of dry agar you can just break it up by hand and toss it into a saucepan or something on your stove top. After your done formulating your pda or whatever, you can transfer it to a flask and top it with foil and pc for 60min at 15 psi.

3 Likes

Unless you shop the way I do, and score the Alu or Bakelite versions :shushing_face:

3 Likes

If you can find em’ yeah score! We always just used the canning jar rings, it was what we had and were cheap. Now a days I just do bulk grain spawn, easier imo.

3 Likes

I bet a couple of these stacked on top of each other would be a good start to a decent volume cannabis plant size reducer.

3 Likes

I actually have one of these at my shop, a partnered hemp farm originally bought it to shred full plants before running though their conveyer dryer. it’s an absolute monster. I’ll send you pics of that tomorrow too. I think it has 4 motors( 2 per side)

2 Likes

I don’t see a good reason to stack multiple ones, pick the size profile you need to grind to, if you really need something ahead of it a delumper to deal with huge stalks may be worthwhile but I don’t see much point in having one grind from full size to partly size reduced and then a second stage to get it the rest of the way, when I’ve seen these operating they aren’t even breaking a sweat pushing some considerable throughput. Especially at the price of 2 or more new ones…

I was thinking of pairing them to increase the total system throughput. The plastic recycler people frequently do 2-3 runs through progressively smaller screens to get good size reduction - I’d rather not have to bother with that.

And If it turns out that I only need one stage to get proper size reduction, then I now have two mills I can run side by side.

3 Likes

That looks very familiar.

And considerably more vicious than this silly thing

1 Like

Yeah I’m thinking a ~5kW motor and substantially bitier teeth should make sure this one shreds instead of crushes.

Plastic shredders run at 15-25rpm. I bet something in the range of 75-100 rpm is likely to be a good place to try for our application.