Bho from specific microns of dry sieve?

yep…

1 Like

That’s what I wanted to know.

you’d huffed them and found a difference already.

yes, you can extract that.

AND…survey says; straight kief is a royal pain to solvent extract.

which is why we haz squish.

5 Likes

Fack I need to get a squishing machine :octopus:

The group think here lacks something but I prefer not to squish it.
Since you @cyclopath seem to have “squished”
A few trichomes…fresh ones!.
Why not do yourself a favor and squish in the presence of a protic solvent.
Think about it as extracting the in situ “buffer” .
Take your handy solid state pH meter and pipette
A small volume onto the sensor. Measure the pH
Of the buffered volume.

Now once you get that number…take your pen and paper and calculate a bit.

@GroovyOctopusLabs
Did you read the paper where they extracted
And identified 4000 chemicals from isolated trichomes?

1 Like

Also is there a known ration of how much resin bho can hold? So many grams for so many oz?

This might be stupid but if the problem with putting solvent through straight keif is that it clogs what about remixing it with plant material ant a higher rate if only to make it more efficient? Instead of running straight flower and getting let’s say 25% maybe mix enough hash with flower to get 70% just using the plant material as a filter? I’m not all that versed in extractions so I’m really just asking.

You could maybe have good luck mixing marbles in with the kief considering they’re glass and inert or maybe getting some kind of inert balls to add to the kief maybe even using sieve beads who knows.

That doesn’t work very well, you have to mix it back into trim to prevent clumping

5 Likes

butane fluidized bed

2 Likes

exactly!

Tell us what BHO stands for.

Now explain how it can “hold resin”.

Nope. Not stupid.
Fairly standard response.

One that has been repeatedly suggested (every time extracting kief come up).

Won’t get you 70% yield though.

you might want to explore “mass balance” to understand why.

1 Like

According to the European council of Tea extractors
Just leave it in the water for 60% yield!

You can use distillation column packing (used for fractional distillation) and you can also use stainless steel wool, either one of which would work significantly better than glass marbles and if you do your extraction at cold enough temperatures they will aid in winterization as well.

I am building out a reflux column right now, so that I can run down crude, keif, and reclaim easily. Basically a warm column packed with pro pak with recovery valve at the top. You can add a polyscience to the column to work the temps but most of this material is going to be free of shit you don’t want already, and room temp gas seems to do the job.

Either way. The point is the pro pak distillation packing was the best shit I’ve used yet. But it’s expensive…

1 Like

you can use glass beads or stainless steel ball bearings. and you will not run it like a normal extraction. it will be like a redissolve. once its fully dissolved it can be passed thru the system.

What I meant was is there a ratio at which the fluid is thin enough not to clog the filter in the column but get the most extraction per oz of butane?

Could you point me in the direction of mass balance info?

Ah, butane….

You ASKED for BHO…(butane hash/honey oil)…NOT the same thing. Despite how often you’ve heard them conflated.

Might as well have asked how much resin can wax hold. Not what you wanted to know.

That depends on the temperature and your solvent blend, probably the water content of the media and biomass too. And of course the media chosen.

Folks run in the range of 3:1 to 10:1 solvent:biomass

Or check out Solvent to Biomass Ratio (and other hits to “solvent ratio”)