Best way to clean ya nasty boiling flask??

It is for a 2l only though lol
http://www.exeterscientific.com/2neckboiling.html

Thank you so much for the insight! So I think I’m in the clear and this may be a viable solution for a once or twice solution.
I really do try to not let that crap burn on, as I’m sure we all do, and for the most part have been successful, but every once and a while I gotta go piss, or the wife distracts me :smirk: and a few minutes later what was the end of tails is now some charred schmeg on the sides lol.

1 Like

You’re very welcome @therealganjfather. Just remember that whatever was burnt on before it went in has now been burnt into the glass. The ash, as I understand it, has been absorbed, which may in turn potentially cause weak spots or leaching of whatever you burnt into it.

I’m not entirely sure if it is possible, but an extension of the idea my friend presented could be expanded on in that you may experience isomerization if the ash finds a way back into the process fluid. Not saying it’s going to happen, and I totally get that that may seem like an unreasonable stretch (with beautifully clean glass). Just maybe something to look out for.

1 Like

Yeah it seems like a real unknown process. Not that I like being a guinea pig, but I’ll definitely keep this thread posted to any data I collect.

I’m just really glad to hear that I didn’t destroy the integrity of the glass, it gives me some more leeway.

2 Likes

So…

Heat and rinse with methanol

Whatever doesn’t dissolve in that

Try acetone

Whatever doesn’t dissolve in those…

Try heptane.

It’ll get all the goods out of the flask.

3 Likes

different solvents for different solubles. thats the theory i use but with water limonene and ethanol

If you have extrac heating mantle for your flask size
1 put ethanol 1/4 of dirty flask to be cleaned
2 set 50 - 70 c degree with no boiling ethanol
3 magnet stir bar in dirty flask
4 200-500 rpm spin speed
5 30 min after then clean automatically
6 recycle diluted ethanol in a container
7 wait until good amount to evaporate in rotorvape

Lab must have good ventilation.

3 Likes

I like to break my glass down while its still warm around 90c
add iso to boiling flask turn on stir bar when it stops bubbling I add acetone
pour that out and add just acetone sometimes I put the head and condenser back on and reflux them with acetone also.
keeps all our glass very clean

1 Like

Any time we’ve had residues in the flask that fuming with ethanol couldn’t fix, tergazyme worked just fine!

1 Like

The dark black gunk in your tails cleans the best with an alakane (heptane or other). Most of the stuff in there (unless you got sugars) is non-polar in my findings.

2 Likes

I’ve found that (at least for me) one needs to pour out the “gunk” asap and place right back on mantel, pour a decent amount of iso in there swirl it dump and do that again. After I take to sanitizing room scrub the inside with a wire brush. Once it’s clean I fill up to 1/3 of the flask and I like grabbing a couple napkins to clog the two adaptor ports and I give it a good shake and rinse out and I let it evaporate before use. Usually looks crispy clean unless I let the “gunk” sit for a bit, that’s when the problems start.

For those interested in the Pirahna juice recipe (which is claimed to be great for fritted glass), please be aware that your gear has to be scrupulously free of acetone!! Concentrated sulfuric, peroxide and acetone react to form triacetone triperoxide, otherwise known as TATP, a highly explosive product. A bit of oddity in this compound: it produces explosive force through gaseous expansion (from solid to gas), so no heat is generated. It was supposedly the material the “shoe bomber” was trying to use aboard an aircraft…and the reason we can’t bring liquids over a couple of ounces onto flights. As if someone would like to cook explosives in the first-class washroom!

2 Likes

ah man, you guys are so full of good advice!

Ha I just thought the same thing but you need yeast too , but maybe I’ll try it today . I’m also testing on recovering oil from the vacuum pump.

Yeast is cheap. couple of other bits you need too.

@tweedledew has posted his sugar wash recipe around here somewhere.

Reflux Still For Small-Scale ETOH Reproofing - #41 by tweedledew

1 Like

Lazy or not , something helpful would have been nice. I’m not lazy at all and I have char this is my first time doing this , so call me lazy but I’ve lived more life than most people . That being said any helpful tip without putting someone down.

2 Likes

Cooool. Which Zep are you referring to?

“heavy duty citrus degreaser” (orange)

Hmm…

Well, IDK what to say about that. I learned it from Chemtechs wiper SOP and been doing it for years with no problem

3 Likes