Automation in Agriculture

My background is in agricultural mechanization and I completely agree with you that there are many more variables than one may think when going about a project like this. I would say a good place to start is going through the process of growing a small group of plants from seed (or cutting) to harvest. It will be vital for every member of the project to have a slight working knowledge of the tasks required to maintain your plants and you should try to start quantifying the optimal methods for each task being performed during that process. That being said it is going to be extremely hard to quantify these processes as there will be variance present between different grow setups and within the different plants in a single operation. I would be interested to see more information from OP if they continue working on this.

2 Likes

Your group looks like itā€™s more geared to making a crypto currency than automating agricultural systems.

3 Likes

We want to solve world problem not make shit coins

All I can say is pick one problem and stick with it. Agriculture is global but it is by no means homogenous. Advancements in ag tech come from problem solvers, not solution creators. There really is no ā€œbase caseā€ for farm automation.

2 Likes

How does one finds the problem to solve?

First you need to have a basic understanding of the crop youā€™re growing and the cultural farming practices used in your region. Then, you need to network with growers to identify an issue that you believe you have the capacity to solve. I would say if you get started growing a crop now by the end of this year youā€™ll have a nice selection of problems to choose from.

I cannot stress enough the importance of understanding cultural farm practices. Every region grows a different way, and has different solutions for problems. This will heavily affect your ability to create and market a product that ā€œall farmers can useā€. Itā€™s best to start small, work with a crop that you have access to and are familiar with.

2 Likes

:joy::+1::roll_eyes:
Thatā€™s a thought!

tbh, focusing on how to get the plants out of the ground and dried in the 2 week window between mandatory THC testing and harvest should be your first goal. There is surprisingly little equipment available to do this quickly without damaging the crops. Going to silage will result in the loss of a majority of your trichs as the combine blows them across your field. We had 5 acres test at 18% in the field and 4% at the lab from this. Next year we used corn-type harvesters on 45 acres that topped the plant and left the base and mids in the field. We didnā€™t have time to go back for them in our harvest window and left a lot of money in the dirt.

2 Likes

Ditch the nerds unless theyā€™ve got experience in manufacturing. If they havenā€™t heard of a PLC before have them do the website or something else fluffy.

Hiļ¼Œdocto
We have studied automation in agriculture, mainly vegetablesļ¼ŒHave time to communicateļ¼Œ@me