Ash vs ashless papers

Perhaps this has been answered elsewhere, though I can’t seem to find it

Why does this industry tend the stress the importance of ashless filter papers? Isn’t the characteristic of being ashless only relevant when burning off the paper to weigh captured precipitant? I must be missing something

1 Like
1 Like

But why are ashless quantitative being pushed by the industry. Why do we care if ash is left behind after burning? I’m sure most people have never burnt one

There’s a ton of different qualitative/quantitative papers, it would be nice if we didn’t have to stick to the ashless ones

My best guess is the premium they can charge.

3 Likes

my concern is that non-ashless papers may have less tensile strength, retention, or something that’s actually relevant to our field

2 Likes

From a link on that site

In addition, the difference between quantitative filter paper and qualitative filter paper is that qualitative filter paper is used for qualitative chemical analysis and corresponding filtration separation, and quantitative filter paper is used for gravimetric analysis test and corresponding analysis test in quantitative chemical analysis.

The quantitative filter paper is mainly used for ashing weighing analysis experiments after filtration. The ash weight of each filter paper after ashing is a fixed value. The qualitative filter paper is used for general filtration.

The main difference between quantitative filter paper and qualitative filter paper is the amount of ash produced after ashing. The main difference between quantitative filter paper and qualitative filter paper is the amount of ash produced after ashing. Qualitative filter paper does not exceed 0.13%, quantitative filter paper does not exceed 0.0009%. Ashless filter paper is a kind of quantitative filter paper, its ash content is less than 0.1 mg, this weight can be neglected in the analytical balance. Note that both quantitative filter paper and qualitative filter paper are concepts of cellulose filter paper.

4 Likes

I’m pretty familiar with the difference between qualitative/quantitative, ash/ashless. I’m just confused why the cannabis industry stresses ashless

No reason… They don’t know what they’re talking about.

6 Likes

are my lab nerd qualatative fast papers the right one for crc? I have fritted etc but these are the 2nd to last filters in my system. I have a 1 micron fritted after it and then a .5 micron flat felt.

Has anyone had experience with the wet strengthened whatman paper? They say they add resin to the paper, I’m wondering if that resin could be soluble in butane/propane

Also, what the hell is everyone using for 1 micron paper. Whatman only makes <2 paper and it’s not so easy to acquire

You should ask them about the compatibility with butane… They should have some data on other alkanes anyway.

2 Likes