Anyone using a SRI 310C GC

Hello I’m curious if anyone is using the SRI 310 C and having good results we just acquired one and are setting it up now…

3 Likes

Lots of people are using it. Out of the box ran using their “sop” the results will be sub par. You will need to immerse yourself in the world of analytics and get a god understanding on what you are doing and how the unit works.

Best starting advice i can give is get yourself a real scale and a set of volumetric flasks and a side exit syringe that wont core shot the septum every time you do an injection. Their 20 dollar scale and their “use the 40ml vial filled to the neck” instruction is far from accurate enough for anything analytical.

This thread covers a LOT about the sri gc

3 Likes

@srihugh1

I’m sure he can chime in

3 Likes

Looking forward to helping Sherpa in any way.
Just call us from 7AM to 4pm CA time.
We have an after hours number also, but since it rings at my house please don’t call at midnight.

Hugh
SRI
310-214-5092

3 Likes

Yes, we supply a $20 scale with the 310MM GC.
We try to supply everything you might need on day 1 so you don’t have to source a bunch of stuff from a thousand different vendors. The scale isn’t perfect, but its pretty good. If we supplied a more expensive scale it would just increase the GC price, so we encourage you to get a better one if necessary.

The 10ul syringes we supply are conical tip rather than sharp tip. The conical tip syringe is just as gentle as the side port on the septa, but less expensive. Its the sharp tip syringes ( the cheapest kind ) that cut the septums. The real secret is not to overtighten the septum. If the septum is really tight it can’t expand to allow the syringe to pass and then the syringe has to punch a hole. A lightly tightened septum heals itself when the syringe is withdrawn.

If you are measuring extracts that contain only cannabinoids ( like a CBD isolate ) it really does not matter how much you weigh into the extraction vial or how much extraction solvent you use. If you know the cannabinoids have to add up to 100% then the calculation ( by normalized area percent ) does not change regardless of the weights or volume.

Its more critical if you are measuring biomass or any sample which could contain more than just cannabinoids, Then an accurate weight and volume is important. Even so, its hard to be more than a percent or two off on the weight or volume using the $20 scale and filling the vial to the neck. 1% error on a sample which reports as 10% d9THC is .1%. So an answer of 9.9% is not statistically different than an answer of exactly 10% when the generally accepted precision of most labs is 5-10%.
Hugh
SRI

7 Likes

Hello,

Just adding on to the conversation. In the case that anyone else has any questions about using the SRI310 GC, many of them can be answered through videos on the YouTube channel - just search “SRI GC Training” on YouTube or Google (since direct links cannot be posted here).

Happy Friday everyone!
Stephanie

2 Likes

@Stephanie.SRI. The videos are really lacking a lot of advances.

Like what changes to the software need to be made in order to have 5 standards rather 3, or how to add a new channel?

The videos are great if your only doing d9, cbn, cbd

3 Likes

If you make a 5 component standard the only change is the number in the top left cell of the calibration curve. If youi mix equal CBD, D9THC and CBN then the number is 333 because you diluted the standards from 1000ng/ul each to 333ng/ul in the 3 way mix.

If you mix 5 components equally, then the number is 200 because 1000ng/ul each mixed 5 ways is 200ng/ul.
Hugh

4 Likes

I think what @Killa12345 is also suggesting is that your videos being updated to the current industry’s needs would benefit all users and most likely find you a handful of new customers in the process.

I also feel the videos were pretty dated and that was about 2 years ago when I got my 310c, so maybe you have uploaded some new video but if not I fully agree it’s time for some new ones.

3 Likes

No playa, how do you set the SOFTWARE to allow for 5 standard brackets

He did but we did that exact same thing and still got weird results on known samples. Everytime we go back to 3 standards… everything is perfect and the exact way the video presents itself.

The problem we had when we changed to 200ng/ul is none of the calibration results were near 1.00. I dont know if since we lowered the particular sample from 333ng/ul to 200ng/ul if the calibration reading is no longer suppose to be one and more near .60 because everytime we tried to add new standards to our calibration standard…none of the new imputs would be close to 1.00

i have an appt with the homie to do testing today…gonna make a new calibration standard with the new dirty solvent and see what happens.

And sorry to @srihugh1 if I came off hostile. I love my Sri machine. It’s the bomb. I just wish the software or machine actually had an operating manual.

I wanna know how to extend the test time to potentially get cleaner peak seperation. There is sooo much more I wanna do with this but there is no documentation for the machine nor the software and all we have to go off of is these videos which are years old for the most part

3 Likes

The number in the calibration curve is the area of the cannabinoid peak divided by the area of the internal standard peak ( methyl stearate ). When the cannabinoid peak is 333ng/ul the areas are about the same ( not exactly but close ) so the number is about 1.00. We did this on purpose to make things easy to learn. When you make a 5 component standard the cannabinoids are 200ng/ul each but the internal standard peak does not change so the number should be about .6, not 1.00.

Give me a call and we can talk this through.

Hugh
SRI
310-214-5092 office
424-247-7168 after hours/weekend

2 Likes

We are willing to do new videos, but need some guidance on what should be discussed.
The basic technology has not changed and the videos are intended to make the learning process easy.
There are all kinds of nuances and ways to operate the GC that could get confusing and boring for a new user. Its something you can study for a lifetime. We have lots of trouble just getting the basics understood by new users.
Hugh
SRI

2 Likes

i will say your videos of the basic were extremely easy to understand. We have them videos mastered and we have taken your injection game as well to insure make sure we are all consistant. We have taken that game even further to see who can get test with absolutely no air bubbles…

I think going into more intermediate techniques… looking at some various other peaks that can come up.

How to extend testing times to see other things like cuts and mct oils… I would say we have had your machine for 2 months and have just about all the 310 videos memorized where any of the 3 people that have access to my machine can recall any point…

some of us are bored and looking for more knowledge!

we have even watched the new pack up video already too…

maybe subdivide youtube channel in playlists like beginner sri310, intermediate, and advanced use?

3 Likes

Get a textbook on analytical chemistry

1 Like

We do actually have some advice on MCToils/Olive/Coconut etc. but its complicated. The MCT oils etc are higher boiling than the cannabinoids so they come out later unless you catch them on a pre-column and then dump the pre-column contents. This is called a pre-column backflush. It costs more in hardware to have the parts to do this. The alternative is to to ramp the column temp as high as possible and wait for the high boiling oils to come out. Or just allow the oils to accumulate in the column which is viable if you don’t inject a lot of the oils.
We are working on a document first and then a video after.
If you have some advice on the oils I would love to know.

2 Likes