Anyone see this emulsion before during LLE washes?

For sure! I’m in the process or trying to retrieve all the oil that was lost by poor patience on my sep funnel work…

After it’s all recollected I’ll be rotovapping back to “first pass distillate oleoresin” and starting from scratch :man_facepalming::man_facepalming: when I do a 2:1 heptane solution instead of 1:1 is a must it would seem…

Thanks for the compliment on the speration!! This is a clean volume of heptane I’ve taken back to the water that’s already been washed through in hopes of retrieving some of the distillate back and separating more slowly with that special vibration adapter :rofl::rofl:

How much water washing do you need to do per week?

@AlexSiegel We have been removing lipoproteins from oil extracts using saturated salt solutions for over a century. It is well documented that saturated salt solutions will denature lipo-proteins and thereby expose the “internal” charged amino acids. Poke around the published literature a bit and you will find loads of data on this.

2 Likes

How do you make your brine solution? Is it safe to assume that you dissolve the sodium bicarbonate in the RO first, before you add any salt?

I’m looking for evidence that lipoproteins are even worth paying attention to in this situation. Do you have a link to other industries where it’s used? I can’t find anything because of all of the cooking and health papers.

1 Like

What the flocc is that?!

Is it decarbed? Hopefully you’re not losing some acidic cannabinoids?

1 Like

you dont HAVE to use hot water if your prepare your saturated solutions 24 hours in advance, or more. Using hot water is just how you can achieve saturation if you’re preparing solutions same day.

I have no idea its impact on this exhaustive water washing procedure (which admittedly I’ve always found pretty silly), but a small amount of ethyl acetate to heptane can clear an emulsions ez pz.

Where is the heptane and presumably a large proportion of your product that you will eventually realize is also missing? Its caught up in your emulsion. Always save your washes until you can account for the mass.

When you’re charging a saturated wash solution, decant off any undissolved solids. It makes no sense to have solid bicarb floating around in there with your product and saturated bicarb solution. There is no utility to intentionally bringing the undissolved solids into the mix.

4 Likes