Anyone getting water clear D8 off a wipe film?

Currently we are running short paths to get water clear D8. We have a wipe film (an old crappy wipe film) but it doesn’t give us the clarity we need. I asked to invest into a newer one that actually performs well, but a lot of coworkers claim it’s not possible to get water clear out of a wipe film. I refuse to believe that it is impossible to get those results off a wipe film, so I’ve come here to asked the more seasoned veterans for help.

1 Like

How much work did you put into cleaning up the crude?

Did you do a L/L extraction prior to the still?
Is this a second pass?
If yes, did you do an adsorbent scrub between passes?

4 Likes

I think the real question is what is the volume difference between Wiped and spd.

If you have higher yields with what you are doing now, you are upgrading to loose dollars…

1 Like

All relevant questions. Although, at some point its worth asking…if you can get water clear in a single pass on a short path without adsorbents (which is possible, I do it regularly), then is it worthwhile to use the wiped film if it requires multiple passes and additional operations i.e. adsorbents, excessive washes?

I don’t have this answer at the tip of my fingers, but these are questions I would investigate were I comparing the two options.

2 Likes

I’m using isolate and converting it to D8,
L/L extraction. From there I de-volatize it in a system we built. It goes into a SPD and is ran for H, M, T. One and done. No adsorbent.

If I’m doing one pass to water clear with SPD, wouldn’t it be more than possible to do it with a WFE and yield the same results?

Shit yeah nothing is impossible, go try it🤙

However, I’ve never seen wiper disty that compares in clarity and color to spd disty. Potency and throughput wiper wins but if you’re going for clear you’re gunna have to work a lot harder to figure out the wiper sop for that than the spd sop imo

@QGA you still around? Care to chime in, you’re the resident wiper over spd guy round here yeah?

6 Likes

I don’t think the wiper wins on potency when you have a good spd operator. An Spd is like a musical instrument. Lots of people can make sound(oil)come out of it. First chair philharmonics are few and far between.:wink:

9 Likes

Well I fell slightly insulted now :joy: on second passes I’m getting 85%ish potency I feel like most wipers put that up on the first pass?

I can cook dope I swear :joy:

8 Likes

First pass is terps on a wiper, right? So my first pass spd stomps a first pass wiper run. Spd second pass would be wiper first pass at distillation. I can hit 97+ on a third pass spd usually. What’s a wiper doing on a second pass distillation?

2 Likes

We use both occasionally. We see 4-6% higher D9 potency on our wiper with 1 cannabinoid pass from the same material, same lab.

6 Likes

I’m hitting 97%+ first pass on SPD, water clear. It’s just pain running 6 SPD systems to get the yield, clarity, and potency our client needs on a daily basis. So I was hoping for a WPE to eliminate some of the tedious work. Unless anyone else has a SPD set up recommendation that can pump out mad volume while keeping the other needed requirements?

All my SPD’s but one are a 20L w/ LabSociety HE head setup. One of them is a Summit 20L with HE head.

3 Likes

We run a kdt10 and while it’s a rolled film it’s the same concept. One thing I’ve noticed about clarity is as @Future mentioned is the L2L washes. Those are paramount to get clarity and color closer to clear before introducing it to the receiver jar. In other words: neutralize the acid. The other is to run your feed hot. We preheat our containers full of d8 crude hot then immediately pour them into the receiver jar and commence distillation. This sometimes takes the pink out before you evaporate leaving the distillate on the clear side. I think most here can achieve water clear or nice amber clear d8 on a spd. Wiped/Rolled takes more finesse and patience to get the results you need. The throughput is the reward.

7 Likes

What is the production rate difference if we compare SPD to WFE? :flushed:
Thanks so much for the help…

So WFE process material faster?
But there are still small WFE out there?
I heard some WFE produce 7L a day… not familiar with WFE…
Thanks so much

How about taste?

Does SPD produce better taste product than WFE? :flushed: Thanks so much…

Just saw an old post, saying that WFE leave a distinct taste to the oil, is that the Common case? How about SPD?

Spd cuts tighter fractions and usually void of impurities present with wipers. Wipers always have a foot smell to the product becusee it doesnt have the ability to separate as well. When the fluid flows down the wall in the begining the fraction is distilled, and then by the time the fluid is half way down it will create a heavy azeotrope phase change during the distillation all the way down to the discharge plate. Short path doesn’t have this issue because the main body fraction has the highest concentration through the entire process till the end.

3 Likes

:+1::+1::+1: