Anybody got a source for replacement chinese chiller fans?

Company bought 6 Chinese import 50L rotovaps for our operation early last year. The rotos themselves are (mostly) not bad but the chillers are absolute garbage.

Out of 6 chillers I’ve now had 3 have major failures. When the fan failed on the last one (started making horrible scraping noises from motor bearings) I pulled fans out of both of the other two that have had major failures and both motors in those are locked up as well. One the compressor had an electrical fitting explode and vent refrigerant out the top, the other was just not cooling, all the sudden I’m thinking the one that wasn’t cooling would probably cool again if the fan was working like it’s supposed to.

Found an importer on eBay that sells what appears to be near-identical fan/condenser units to what are in these rotos, unfortunately when I asked he says he only sells them as a set, which makes me think that if he was willing to sell just the fans/motors it would take a while for another container to show up from Shenzen.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/182374968722?ul_noapp=true

Anybody have a good source for a motor/fan combo, 16" OD on the fan blades, needs to run on 208-240V single phase?

I have mig & tig welders and a machine shop at my disposal so I can frankenstein something together if I have to, but would rather not spend the time given all the other exciting & time consuming things happening around my operation right now.

2 Likes

let me think ,you got this chillers from laphan ?

1 Like

problem is ,even if you fit ebay motors ,in long run this same garbage which you already have ,and couple month later motors will die again ,because it is same crappy manufacture from china .
Spend more money built chilling system and call it good .Or buy polyscience chillers ,at least you will get support in usa ,and warranty work .
I have POS laphan chiller sitting in my shop ,collecting dust ,for last few months ,and no support from company at all .
Chinese treat us as stupid consumers,who sitting on pile of money ,and we get no support after sale .I refuse to support this type of business.

4 Likes

Thanks for posting this, I have a RE-5003 50l rotovap paired with the DLSB-50/30 chiller from lanphan and have noticed a sound like you are describing. Thinking it’s also the bearings in the fan.

Do you have the same chiller and have you tried reaching out to lanphan for a replacement?

Starting to agree with others who say it’s fine to get a Chinese rotovap, heating mantle, or reactor but to avoid their chillers and short path glassware.

i tried exchange this chiller for last 3 month …they keep feeding with BS
i need to buy 3 more chillers ,but fuck china lanphan ,or whatever then name ,i will buy them in usa ,i can’t afford downtime ,cost me more than chiller

2 Likes

Yeah I’ll never buy Chinese chillers ever again. Knowing what I know now, I would have probably been money and certainly time and hassle ahead buying a Chillking type unit and manifolding it 6 ways to reach all my rotos. Eventually all but maybe 1 roto are going down the road but we’re not quite there yet.

I don’t want to replace the POS Chinesium fan with another that will undoubtedly fail in 6 months just wondering if anyone else has swapped out a failed fan with something comparable and had good luck or part numbers they feel like sharing. I’d certainly rather put a descent quality motor/fan combo back in there and bring 2 of these units back to life (the third won’t come back without a new compressor since it had a pretty explosive failure).

1 Like

@Terry_Manager can you help these people having problems with your goods??

1 Like

Do u purchase them from Lanphan?

LOOKS LIKE IT…

2 Likes

Has there been any resolution of these issues?

Has there been any resolution of these issues?

I think we bought ours from a different importer, at least, they have a different email address than BromaW-Manager. Their customer service is absolute garbage and they either have no clue when it comes to troubleshooting or are deliberately acting clueless to frustrate people seeking help, so I doubt I’ll see any sort of help from them.

With that said, went to a local HVAC shop and bought a replacement fan blade, hub and motor and I’m going to bend up a bracket to mount the motor and fan in the space where the one that failed was located. I’ll keep you guys posted.

UPDATE:
Never did find someone to sell me a bolt in replacement fan, which I guess is fine because of the failures we’ve had with them.

I spoke with a local HVAC supplier (Federal Heating & Cooling in Denver) and ended up ordering a 16" fan blade, hub, motor and run cap. Had to fab up a piece of flat bar and MIG weld it to the base plate of my chiller in order to mount, once I did that and got it wired up the new motor/fan combo moves more air than the old one ever did which is fantastic. Performance slightly better than it was from the factory, unfortunately to do this first one ended up paying just over $300 for all the parts.

Did the same to another chiller where fan had failed, bought fan and run cap from Federal but saved some $$$ getting an identical surplus motor from eBay, second chiller didn’t run quite as well but seemed to be moving almost as much air. Ended up having to replace the plug on it as electrician who installed it must not have tightened it down all the way and it scorched one of the wires, after cord was cut back and plug was replaced its performance is back where it should be.

Probably going to do this to a third which needs the most work out of all of them as the compressor and fan crapped out at the same time and fried the SSR, but I’ll have to source a compressor and a keg of R404 to do so.

1 Like

I have a YHCHEM chiller that’s the same as the DLSB-50/30. It works okay, the only issue I have is the fluid flow is very low. I was going to use it as replacement for my Thermoscientific G50 chiller. My thoughts were that the ~3.5kW cooling power (as labeled on the unit, unsure of the actual ability or what its actually supposed to be rated as) is ~3.5x that of the ~1kW cooling power of the G50. The chiller chills okay, I need an additional thermometer to measure the temperature aside from the internal one. However, when it’s circulating it pumps very slow when going through my whole system.

EDIT: after using it for a few weeks, I am not having any issues. I’m able to stay below -30c under load. The flow rate is still slow, but is sufficient. I still haven’t gotten some additional thermometer, aside from IR guns which I don’t prefer, to measure the inlet/outlet temperatures and am still basing my data from the internal thermometer.