Anybody ever use sand in heating mantle for SPD?

I’d start with testing one of those silicone pot holders on an electric (sacrificial?) stovetop and measure the temps. Most heating applications ive seen it used as an insulator. Yes it disperses the heat evenly, not sure how well it would conduct it without major inside/outside temp differential. Might end up burning out the mantle trying to warm up the silicone to warm up the flask.

I think the answer would be some sort of thermally conductive gel or paste and a foil wrapper.

3 Likes

Silicone is insulating not conducting isn’t it?
I think it’d be great out of the other choices I’ve been looking at that only seem more insulative(like ceramic matting temp rated up to 3200 cont), but deff only for low low tep stuff for silicone, they say up to 300c usually? but I would not push it that far personally especially for long periods.(maybe they’ll have a cont. rated temp on what silicone insert you get? But I wouldn’t 100% trust it.)
I’m trying to figure out a cheap insert material to wrap flasks or line oversized mantles to make chemistry far more accessible to people who can’t afford multiple mantles.

Cheaper than lab armor

3 Likes

sadly those beads, nice as they look. Have a very low thermal tolerance. I think it even said less then 200c on the site. And alum foil is also actually really low, around 200c too?

That is certainly one reading of

Doesn’t read as “they’ll stop working” to me…

Explore soft heating mantle - Google Search

Eg https://www.grainger.com/product/21UG46

that mantle insert is more then some new high grade mantles i see for sale lol.
And yeah I have been surfing looking for a mantle insert like that. Just one that would make this cost effective. When they have a digital 450c mantle for less then 100 on ebay just it’s 2l size I really wanna get that an figure a way to make it work.

makes it not even worth it for me to make my own if i can figure a good way to make the sizes adaptable.
Really weird they’d have such low temp rating on those beads wonder why?

Again mantle inserts or sand is a dangerous and idea that should be avoided like the plague.